For many people, smells are just as important to a home as the decor. Some people invest large sums of money in hiring an interior decorator to organise and style their home. However if the house doesn't smell nice, all the decorating efforts will go to waste. To find the ideal aroma for your home, you can always count on a diffuser. These are one of the best ways to decorate and improve the smell of your home.
Smell is one of the most important human senses. In fact, the sense of smell is closely related to memory. With this in mind, you can utilise it to create a scent that becomes the hallmark of your home. Depending on the chosen aroma, you will be able to achieve certain outcomes and give your home a sense of identity by using a machine called a diffuser. We have prepared the following shopping guide to help you find the best diffuser on the market.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our recommendation: The best diffusers
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about diffusers
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- A diffuser can be used to fill any room with aromatic essential oils. One of the best ways to create a pleasant smelling environment is with a diffuser.
- In many cases, diffusers also function as humidifiers. If they have the dual function, they are very practical. If you purchase a diffuser with this feature, you will avoid having to buy two seperate appliances.
- When using a diffuser you can often choose between different coloured lights to be displayed. This will help you create the right atmosphere with the device not only from the smells, but also with the colour.
- When purchasing a diffuser you must take into account some important features. For example, if it has a timer, remote control, different programmes or changes colour.
Our recommendation: The best diffusers
One of the best ways to get to know the interesting and innovative features of diffusers is to take a look at the most popular models on the market. In fact, it is likely that among the list below, you will find a diffuser that suits you perfectly. Therefore, in the following section we present the best diffusers on the market in terms of features and value for money. Take a close look at this list.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about diffusers
In the next section of this complete shopping guide on diffusers, we will answer the most frequently asked questions from buyers when it comes to diffusers. By reading this section, you will be able to learn about a number of innovative features that most diffusers have. You will also learn about what other users value in a diffuser and how to properly use a diffuser. We recommend reading on so that you can learn all there is to know about diffusers.
What is a diffuser?
What types of diffusers are there?
|Electric diffuser with water||This type works by way of ultrasonic vibration. It has a small tank in which you can mix the water with the essential oil you are going to use. This type of diffuser utilises a vibrating mechanism to dispense the odours into the air as mist. It is important to calculate the correct balance of water and oil to achieve a perfect aroma.|
|Electric diffuser without water||This type of diffuser has a pumping system. As the oil is not mixed with water, the appliance emits the liquid into the room in the form of steam. They are also known as nebulizer diffusers. The smell that is obtained with this type of diffuser is usually more intense because the essential oils are not mixed with water.|
|Non-electric diffuser||These types of diffusers are the simplest. They work by means of burning candles or charcoal tablets to emit an aroma into the air. These are the cheapest type of diffuser, but you have to be careful as they can easily cause accidents, especially if there are children nearby.|
Is a diffuser or a burner better?
How do I use a diffuser?
- Instructions. The first thing you should do when using any type of appliance is read the instructions carefully. This will also allow you to learn all about the different functions and settings. It is important to follow this step at the beginning to get the most out of the diffuser.
- Open the diffuser. The next step is to open the diffuser and remove the top of the appliance. As you've already read the instructions, you will know how to do this easily. Also remove the lid from the water container, if it is a diffuser with water.
- Water. If the diffuser uses water, it is time to pour water into the appliance. It is best to use distilled water to avoid lime build-up. Be careful not to exceed the maximum capacity of the water tank. If the essential oils need to be mixed in with the water, you must do this with the correct ratio of oil to water as per the device instructions.
- Cover the diffuser. Put the diffuser cap back in place and close the appliance correctly.
- Plug in the diffuser. Once you have poured the water inside and closed the appliance, you must plug it in. If it has a battery, check that the battery is charged.
- Turn on the diffuser. After you have plugged in the diffuser, it is time to turn it on. Once you have done this, you are ready to take the final steps of the setup process.
- Choose the program. Most diffusers have multiple programs and settings. You can often program the time that the vaporisation lasts, choose the colour of the light or even the intensity of the mist. The most advanced appliances have a remote control so that you can do everything without getting off the couch. If you have several colour options to choose from, pick one you like to get started.
- Essential oils. The final step is to place the essential oils. In the models that use water, the oils should already be mixed in. If the diffuser does not use water, you'll have to find out where to put the essential oil. Follow the instructions as to what types of oil to use and what quantity.
What are essential oils used for?
|Jasmine||Helps reduce stress and improve sleep-related problems.|
|Lavender||Reduces muscular pains that are related to stress and helps with sleep.|
|Cinnamon||Helps to balance emotions, reduce fatigue and improve moods.|
|Black pepper||Can help if you are trying to stop smoking and it helps to manage anxiety.|
|Almond||Helps to increase serotonin levels and fight pain.|
|Bergamot||Improves disorders related to anxiety or depression.|
|Nutmeg||Works very well as an aphrodisiac. It also improves depression.|
What are the advantages and disadvantages of diffusers?
We're about to finish this guide on diffusers, however we cannot finish the guide without first reviewing the key factors you must take into account when making your final decision. It is important that if you want to make a successful purchase, that you do not neglect considering the criteria below. By following the following shopping criteria, we are confident that you will find the diffuser that you are looking for.
You should carefully consider the power supply of the device. Electric diffusers have two ways of working. The most common form is plugging the device into an electrical outlet. This can be a limiting factor, as you will always be dependant on the availability of an electrical outlet. The other common power source is with batteries. We recommend choosing a device with batteries, preferably the rechargeable type. With batteries, you have the ability to move the device around without worrying about finding a power outlet.
Always aim towards devices that are simple to use. In addition, a diffuser with a remote control is always more convenient. Another interesting feature is a timer to program its shutdown. Some diffusers offer settings by which you can regulate the intensity of the aroma, which in many ways is beneficial. The devices that turn off automatically when the water or oil is exhausted, are particularly innovative.
The capacity of the tank is an important feature to consider. The capacity of the tank will be one of the key aspects for defining how long the diffuser can run uninterrupted. Usually the capacity of a diffuser is around 300 millilitres, although there are models with a smaller or larger capacity. We recommend that you do not choose a diffuser with a tank capacity lower than 300 millilitres. We recommend this because larger diffusers are more durable and are able to disperse aromas for longer. Keep in mind that the bigger the tank capacity, the bigger the overall dimensions of the applicance.
The vast majority of essential oil diffusers feature coloured LED lights. It's a look that will make it more attractive. Don't forget that the colour that is emitted can also have some additional benefits. Using coloured lights is the basis of chromotherapy, which states that light can treat certain diseases. We recommend a diffuser with coloured lights.
It has been reported by some medical practitioners that essential oils have the ability to improve quality of sleep. Therefore, it is important to be able to have the diffuser running in the bedroom during the night. To be able to do this, it is best if the diffuser is an ultrasonic diffuser. This model of diffuser emits as little noise as possible so that you can sleep in peace with the diffuser running in the corner.
A diffuser allows you to have the best aromas in your home and to give your house a sense of identity. They work by using essential oils, which have many other beneficial properties. Most diffusers are easy to use and inexpensive. It is preferable to choose a diffuser that has a timer so that you can better control its operation. If the diffuser comes with remote control, that will make it even easier to operate.
Another aspect of diffusers that you can't ignore is the colour they emit. Not only will the diffuser be more pleasant and decorative, but you can also benefit from the advantages of the colours. Try to look for a quiet device so you can use it at night in the bedroom, as it can improve your quality of sleep. As we always recommend, look for a product that offers you the best value for money.
Did you find the information in this shopping guide interesting? Please leave us a comment below. Also, don't forget to share it with your family and friends through your social networks.
(Source of featured image: Ian Dyball : 82651758/ 123rf.com)