A dog is a man's best friend. However, these animals are very curious creatures, and their curiosity can lead them astray or make them run away to see what is outside of their home. Technology seems to advance every day and, because of this, there is currently a variety of dog GPS units on the market. These items will help you to never lose your dog again and keep it out of danger!
There is a huge variety of GPS units on the market with many different characteristics, especially when it comes to connectivity and how you use these gadgets. In this shopping guide, we are going to help you understand how you can use these items and why using them can be so helpful to you and your beloved dog!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection: The Best Dog GPS Units
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dog GPS Units
- 4.1 What is a dog GPS exactly and how should I use it?
- 4.2 Where do I attach the dog GPS?
- 4.3 How do I get started with my dog GPS?
- 4.4 What should I keep in mind when using a dog GPS with my phone?
- 4.5 What other functions does a dog GPS have?
- 4.6 Can someone take my dog's GPS off?
- 4.7 Besides using a GPS, how else can I train a shepherd dog?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- A dog GPS will help you keep track of your dog, no matter where it might be. If your pet gets lost, runs away, or even gets stolen, you will know where to find it.
- Nowadays, most people use the GPS units on their smartphones. These gadgets will not only help you figure out where your dog is, but they also have other cool functions.
- When buying a GPS you will have to check what battery it uses, its weight, and its connectivity. The weight is very important as it will be hanging on your dog's neck. We will go over these important features in the section titled "Shopping Criteria."
Our Selection: The Best Dog GPS Units
In the following section, we have made a list of the best dog GPS units on the market along with a small description of each product to help you with your purchase. This list should help you find a dog GPS that meets the needs of both you and your dog.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dog GPS Units
Dogs are very curious and may go off on adventures and get lost. Somebody might even take your dog! That is why dog GPS units have become very popular quite recently. We imagine that your pet is a very important part of your life and that you probably don't want to lose it, or maybe you have trauma from losing a pet before. In the following section, we will delve deeper into how these products work and answer the most common question about Dog GPS units.
What is a dog GPS exactly and how should I use it?
You can put this device on your dog's collar and set it up according to the product's instructions. It is very likely that you will have to download an app on your smartphone in order to track your dog. After instalation, you may give your dog more freedom without worrying that it will run away or get lost; you will always know where your pet is.
Where do I attach the dog GPS?
How do I get started with my dog GPS?
What should I keep in mind when using a dog GPS with my phone?
What other functions does a dog GPS have?
- Limit where your dog can go. You can actually mark a perimeter of where you want your dog to be. The app will notify you when your dog has crossed this perimeter. The GPS might even emit a noise that will help train your dog to know that it is doing something wrong.
- Educate your dog. You probably don't like it when your dog runs away. There are GPS units that emit a slightly irritating noise when your dog tries to get out. This way, your dog will come back by itself and learn its boundaries. Remember, if your dog comes back by itself, you should reward it with a treat!
- Control the physical activity of your dog. There are GPS units that allow you to see how many calories your dog has burned throughout the day so that you will be able to have more control over your dog's health.
- Monitor your dog's health. Some GPS units can even show you your dog's heartbeat.
- See your dog at night. Some models light up, allowing you to find your dog at night when there is little light.
Can someone take my dog's GPS off?
Besides using a GPS, how else can I train a shepherd dog?
Remember that it is always better to train a dog with rewards, not punishment. Shepherd dogs are very intelligent by nature but also very hyperactive. You can hire a dog trainer or do the training yourself. Introducing your dog to the herd of cattle at a young age and giving it rewards is very important. You need to be patient and consistent, but, in the end, the result will be worth the effort.
When picking out a dog GPS, you need to make sure it meets your needs, the needs of your dog, and that it is compatible with your phone or computer. There are many aspects that you should keep in mind when buying one of these gadgets. The following is a list of shopping criteria that will help you make the best purchase:
It may rain and your dog may get wet, so you should consider buying a water-resistant GPS. These products may already come with a neoprene, waterproof case. You need to take into account the weather where you live and if your dog likes to play in the water or not. Based on these factors, you can decide if you need a water-proof GPS.
A basic and fundamental factor of all GPS units is connectivity. Not all dog GPS units work in the same way. The following is a list of the three different types of GPS units. You should consider these three types when deciding what model to buy.
- GSM Chip: This type of GPS unit is just like a SIM chip. They work through telephone signals. With this type, you can usually download an app on your smartphone that will connect with the gadget on your dog. You have to buy a monthly data plan, just like you do with a cellphone. If there is no cellphone connection, the GPS will not work.
- Radio: These GPS units use radio waves to track your dog. With this type, you don't need to buy a monthly plan, but radio dog GPS units have a limited radius and will not work if your dog is too far away. Most places have radio signal.
- Bluetooth: Most phones come with a Bluetooth function. This type of GPS does not reach very far, but you don't have to buy a monthly plan.
As we have mentioned before, showing you where your dog is at all times is not the only function of this device. You should look at the different functions of a certain GPS before choosing which one you want. You will be able to see more things about your dogs through these amazing gadgets. For example, a dog GPS can show you how many calories your dog burns throughout the day.
Using a dog GPS, you can also set a perimeter where you want your dog to be. This gadget can alert you when your dog leaves this parameter. Some GPS units light up so you can see your dog when it is dark outside.
Just like any other electronic device, you need to charge your dog GPS. Some use batteries, and others can be charged like a cellphone. If you do not charge your dog GPS, it can turn off and will no longer be effective. The following is an explanation of the two different types of batteries:
- Internal battery: You need to charge this type of battery with a specific type of charger. The GPS will let you know when it needs to be recharged. This type of battery is more environmentally friendly since you always re-use the same battery.
- External battery: If you forget to charge the batteries, you can always buy new, reusable ones. With this type of battery, it is harder to tell when it needs to be replaced and it is not very environmentally friendly because you will have to buy new batteries if you don't use rechargeable batteries.
As we have mentioned previously, most dog GPS units can be controlled from your smartphone or computer. When buying your dog GPS you need to make sure that it is compatible with your device, be it a computer or smartphone. Some are compatible with most devices; others are not.
Losing a dog is a horrible experience. However, technology is advancing day by day and makes our lives just a little bit easier. Technology helps us stay in touch with our loved ones, and now, with the help of the dog GPS, we can keep track of our dogs no matter where they are.
Even though dog GPS units are quite new, there are already various models on the market. These are very useful items, especially if you have a dog that often runs away. We hope we have provided you with the information so that you can make the best purchase possible.
(Source of featured image: Jelena Safranova: 119926729/ 123rf.com)