If you are a dog owner, you probably care a lot about your dog's health. For your furry friend to have a happy and healthy mouth, it is important to clean its teeth at least three times a week. There are special toothbrushes and toothpaste that are made especially for dogs. Never use human toothbrushes or toothpaste on dogs, as these items can be harmful to your pet's health.
Throughout this article, you are going to wish human toothpaste tasted as good as the dog version. There are flavors like steak and chicken. Yum! In this article, we are going to teach you about this product and help you buy the best toothpaste for your furry friend. Let's go!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection: The Best Dog Toothpaste
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dog Toothpaste
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Never use human toothpaste on your dog's teeth. This can be extremely toxic to your poor pet. Remember that dogs cannot spit and can only swallow what is in their mouths.
- Other than just making your dog's breath smell great, good oral hygiene is directly related to your pet's health. If your dog does not have clean gums, they can pass harmful bacteria to the internal organs. You do not want that to happen.
- When choosing which toothpaste is best for your dog, there are a few criteria that you should keep in mind. We will go over these factors in the section titled "Shopping Criteria."
Our Selection: The Best Dog Toothpaste
It is important to go over several different products before choosing the one you wish to buy. You need to compare reviews, ratings, prices and much more. In the following section, we have picked our favorite listings of dog toothpaste.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dog Toothpaste
If you have never cleaned your dog's teeth and you are ready to start, you are in the right place. You just read about some of our favorite dog toothpaste on the market. You may have chosen one for your dog, or you may feel just as lost as before. Do not worry! It is normal to have doubts. In the following section, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions from buyers like you.
Does my dog need toothpaste?
Will my dog get used to the taste of its toothpaste?
What is tartar and how can dog toothpaste help me avoid tartar buildup?
Generally, all of the food that your dog consumes contributes to the build-up of bacteria on the teeth. If you do not brush your dog's teeth with a good toothbrush and toothpaste, you will eventually never be able to remove the tartar.
Why does my dog have black marks on its teeth that won't come off?
However, you need to understand that black stains are nothing to worry about; most dogs have these stains and they are completely normal. On the other hand, if you notice that your dog's gums are white or bright red, you need to take your dog to the vet immediately.
Can my dog lick my face if I brush its teeth?
Our advice is to avoid these "kisses." Experts say that you should avoid your dog licking your mouth, eyes, nose, or any scratches or wounds you might have. A dog's mouth carries a lot of bacteria that can be harmful to you.
If you have reached this part of the article, you are probably still considering purchasing dog toothpaste. This is incredible news and a great step in improving the oral hygiene of your furry friend. To help you with your purchase, we have provided a list of shopping criteria that you need to keep in mind. We want you to get the best product possible. Imagine purchasing a product, waiting for it to arrive, and realizing it is not what you wanted in the first place. Let's avoid this situation altogether and go over these important criteria:
It is so important that the toothpaste you choose to purchase contains ingredients that are healthy and will benefit your pet. Do not forget that xylitol, an ingredient commonly found in human toothpaste, is extremely toxic to dogs. The good news is that there are so many natural products out there that you are bound to find one for your pet that does not contain any toxic chemicals.
Baking soda is a great ingredient as it is not harmful at all and fights against tartar and plaque that might buildup on your dog's teeth. Some manufacturers include natural oils like coconut oil to help with the texture of the toothpaste. It is also common to find ingredients like cinnamon or lemon that help improve the flavor. Always go over the list of ingredients before purchasing the product.
Just as it is important that the ingredients are healthy for your dog, it is also important that your dog likes the flavor of the toothpaste. You know your dog best. Try to purchase a flavor that you know your pet will love. This will save you a lot of trouble when trying to get your dog used to the toothpaste. Note that there is mint-flavored toothpaste on the market that will help with bad breath, but, if you know your dog will not like it, get a chicken or beef flavor instead.
The toothpaste needs to have a certain consistency that will help keep in on the brush while you are brushing your dog's teeth. If it is too watered down, it will fall right off. It is most common to find that dog toothpaste has the same consistency as human toothpaste.
Dog toothpaste is not the only product on the market that will help improve your dog's oral hygiene. For the toothpaste to work, you are going to need a toothbrush, for example. In the following section, we will go over other useful products:
- Dog toothbrush. There are many different types of dog toothbrushes. Some resemble human toothbrushes. Some are like gloves and allow you to scrub the toothpaste onto the dog's teeth with your fingers. There are even dog toothbrushes that resemble toys. Remember; you know your dog best. Pick a toothbrush that best suits its personality.
- Snacks. There is a special type of snack that cleans your dog's teeth. There are even special dog bones that do this as well. These snacks should not replace their toothbrush and toothpaste, but they do help. Your dog will be cleaning its teeth while chowing down on a delicious snack.
- Dog mouthwash: Some mouthwashes are created for dogs. These are great if you end up buying a chicken or beef flavored toothpaste to give your dog good breath after brushing.
- Healthy dog food: Good-quality food is an important factor when it comes to oral hygiene. Remember that even though wet dog food helps keep your dog hydrated, we recommend dry dog food. This type of dog food will strengthen your pet's teeth.
You should always remember to go over the different reviews and ratings from other users like you. People often leave comments with valuable information that can make or break a product. Go over these users' experiences and make sure that it is the best dog toothpaste for your pet.
A good smell, shiny teeth, and a healthier mouth: what else could you ask for? If you want to improve your dog's oral hygiene, dog toothpaste is a must. We are confident that we have provided you with the correct information and that you are ready to make the decision. So, now it is up to you. What are you waiting for?
We hope that you have enjoyed our article about dog toothpaste. If you liked this shopping guide and review, don't forget to share it with your friends on social media. Have you tried using this item? Tell us about your experience; we want to hear from you. Thank you so much.
(Source of featured image: Olegdudko: 52037534/ 123rf.com)