Decorating your bedroom can become a real headache when it comes to finding the right balance between an attractive style and a functional design. The storage space is absolutely crucial. Ideally, you should be able to store all your clothes, sheets, and towels in your room. In that regard, a dresser might just be what you were looking for.
In the following shopping guide, we will help you find the model that best suits your tastes and needs. From modern designs to practical models, you will discover a variety of dressers and learn all about their essential aspects and features. We are confident that you can make the right decision with all this information.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection: The Best Dressers
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dressers
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Also called chest of drawers, this piece of furniture is primarily designed for the bedroom. However, you will see throughout our guide that certain products fit perfectly into other rooms of your home.
- You should always pick your side furniture with the utmost care, as their role is to complement your main furniture. Whether you need it for storage, originality, or design, it will always fill an empty space in your home decor.
- You may be wondering whether you can set a dresser on drywall or not, how much space you need, or if a legged model is more suitable. We will answer all of these questions throughout this article.
Our Selection: The Best Dressers
A dresser can put an end to the chaos in your bedroom, give it an original touch or become side furniture for your living room. These are just some of the uses that buyers of the following models have made. The products we have chosen in our selection have received fantastic ratings and are some of the best dressers currently on the market.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Dressers
If some people believe that auxiliary furniture isn't so important, we couldn't disagree with this more. A well-chosen dresser can become the real star of your bedroom, not to mention the additional storage space it offers. In the following section, we have answered the most commonly asked questions regarding this piece of furniture to help you pick the right model.
What is a dresser exactly?
On an aesthetic level, the difference between certain dressers and some sideboards is actually minimal. In fact, you may have noticed in our selection of products above that you can find models created for any room in the house. Some dressers will even fit better in specific rooms, and that decision is entirely yours to make.
Are drawer units the same as dressers?
What types of dressers are there?
- On the floor. A comfortable dresser set on the floor will naturally offer a greater storage capacity than a model with legs of the same height, as it takes advantage of the space occupied by the legs. While this area cannot be accessed for cleaning, it accumulates very little dirt underneath.
- With legs. A dresser with legs allows you to clean the space underneath it, where more dust and dirt will build up. In modern designs, the legs can give a fairly light appearance to this piece of furniture.
- Suspended. This option also stands out for its light and modern appearance as long as the design is done right. You can easily clean the floor, and it offers several drawers for easy storage.
How can I safely install my dresser?
If you have children, don't think twice before attaching your dresser to the wall. You should always follow the manufacturer's instructions when assembling your piece of furniture. Once you have done so, check that it is safe to use and securely anchored. Nowadays, you can hire professionals to assemble your dresser for greater peace of mind.
What are the best finishes for dressers?
- Solid wood. It is one of the most resistant, but also one of the most expensive materials. It comes with various finishes that will influence the feel of the material.
- MDF. Made from wood fibers, medium-density fiberboard (MDF) offers a smooth, soft finish. This quality option is quite affordable.
- Particleboard. This material is manufactured by crushing wood before pressing and extruding it. While its finish is slightly rougher than MDF, it is still quite resistant and much more economical than wood.
- Lacquer. This finish creates a perfectly smooth surface with different effects, such as high gloss or mirror.
- Metal. More often used for sideboards, the look of this material is similar to lockers. It is ideal for industrial-style designs. In that regard, the price may depend more on the design than on the material itself.
- Fabric. Dressers that feature fabric are particularly light and affordable. The structure, however, is naturally made from another more resistant material.
- Wicker. Widely used in decoration a few decades ago, wicker seems to be coming back into fashion. It is an excellent option for a country or beach house, but also if you decide to go for an exotic or marine decoration.
What are the most popular dresser styles?
- Exotic-style dressers. Inspired by Southeast Asian design, these dressers are made from hand-carved natural materials. Whether they bear neutral tones or cheerful colors, their oriental touch makes them stand out. These dressers are perfect for those who can never satisfy their wanderlust.
- Classic chic dressers. These timeless pieces of furniture feature a very modern style. Neutral and powdered shades are the most elegant options available. Certain classic chic dressers even come with original engravings reminiscent of classical palaces such as Versailles.
- Scandinavian-style dressers. This style is one of the most popular in the design world, with white and natural wood always being a safe bet. Its pure lines combine perfectly with other more powerful decorative trends.
- Retro-style dressers. Travel back in time to the funky design of the sixties and seventies. With original shapes, bold colors, and a wide array of possibilities, these dressers will captivate you. These pieces of furniture are so particular that they will define the decoration of the room.
What are the advantages of dressers?
At this point, you should have an excellent idea of the features that will make up your ideal dresser. You may even know exactly where you want to place it in your home. That being said, there are still some aspects that you should consider in order to make the best possible purchase. We have detailed them in the section below to make your life easier:
Type of Bedroom
If it is destined for the main bedroom, you may want to opt for a double dresser – a model with two rows of drawers. For a baby's room, go for a product integrating a changing unit on top. Dressers with baskets to store toys are ideal for children's rooms. As you can see, there really is a model for every bedroom.
As we discussed earlier, there are three main types of dressers: floor-mounted, leg-mounted, and suspended models. Your personal tastes naturally play a major role in your decision, but you should also analyze their main aspects. In the following table, you can compare the different types and choose accordingly:
Dressers that are wider than they are tall are particularly suitable for bulky clothing, towels, or bedding. Better yet, you can opt for a model with large side-to-side drawers. If you need to store underwear or accessories, on the other hand, prefer a dresser with two smaller drawers. Make sure you are clear about your needs before you purchase your new piece of furniture.
You should always leave a passage zone between your dresser and the nearest furniture or wall of at least 25 inches. If your piece of furniture measures less than 28 inches in height, you may reduce that distance to 20 inches. On the other hand, leave at least 28 inches of space if your dresser is 40 inches high. This is due to the fact that the lack of space can be visually overwhelming.
Your dresser can become a key element in your bedroom as long as you find the right model. Our shopping guide should have allowed you to become more familiar with some of the most interesting options out there, as well as commonly used materials and popular designs. Don't forget to opt for an easy-to-assemble model.
So, will you opt for a floor-mounted, leg-mounted, or suspended dresser? You should hopefully know where you want to place your piece of furniture, as well as the passage zone needed. Remember to take into account the kind of items that will be stored in your dresser, too. If you consider all of these factors, we are confident that you will get the best possible deal out there.
Did you find our shopping guide on dressers helpful? If that's the case, feel free to share it on your social media. You can also leave us your opinion in the comments section below.
(Source of featured image: Katarzy: 57364757/ 123rf.com)