To have soft and shiny hair is the dream of ten out of ten people. The popular saying already says that this is the face's frame. And to get hair that is worthy of compliments, there is nothing like finding the best shampoo for your hair type.
In this article, we will explain how the product works, its basic composition and the advantages of using the right shampoo for your hair. We have also prepared a selection with news from the segment and the best-selling products of the year. You can't miss it!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best Shampoo: Our Picks
- 4 Buying guide: all you need to know about shampoo
- 4.1 What is the composition of shampoo?
- 4.2 Why are there so many types of shampoo?
- 4.3 Which shampoo is the most suitable for daily use?
- 4.4 What are the advantages of choosing the ideal shampoo for your hair?
- 4.5 Is it better to use solid shampoo or liquid shampoo?
- 4.6 Is it recommended to use anti-dandruff and anti-dandruff shampoo?
- 5 Purchase criteria: What to take into account when comparing shampoos
- 6 Summary
- To choose the best shampoo, it is important to take into consideration your hair type and the situation of your hair strands.
- Shampoo with natural ingredients, without chemical additives, is the best option for hair health, as it promotes nutrition and restores hydration.
- Solid shampoo has been gaining space among people who want a more practical and sustainable routine. It uses less water and dispenses plastic packaging.
The best Shampoo: Our Picks
There are so many options that it is hard to find the best shampoo on the shelves. To make your search a little easier, we have selected products with very distinct characteristics, but all with the best market reviews. Check them out:
Buying guide: all you need to know about shampoo
What is the composition of shampoo?
Basically, shampoo has surfactant in its composition, which is nothing more than a detergent. It is responsible for cleaning the hair and scalp. Other ingredients, such as pearlizers, stabilizers, nutrients, silicones and fragrances, vary according to the product and its indications.
Why are there so many types of shampoo?
However, if we consider the objective of this product -which is to cleanse the hair-, the main types of shampoo can be summed up as follows
- Transparent shampoo: promotes medium cleansing. It is the most suitable for those who have oily roots;
- Milky shampoo: provides soft cleansing and usually includes treatment actives such as silicones and nutrients. Ideal for coloured hair;
- Pearly Shampoo: guarantees daily cleaning, therefore it is the most recommended for routine use;
- Anti-residue or detox shampoo: deeply eliminates the accumulation of residues on the scalp and the hair. Depending on its composition, it may dry your hair. The ideal is to use it every 15 days.
Which shampoo is the most suitable for daily use?
Imagine you use a shampoo with petrolatum and silicon every day. It will leave your hair with an enviable shine. But, as time goes by, these actives will accumulate in the strands and block the nutrition and oxygenation of the hair cuticles.
For daily use, look for the clear shampoos indicated for your hair type and, preferably, free of sulfate, parabens, salts and other chemical compounds.
What are the advantages of choosing the ideal shampoo for your hair?
- Product specifically developed for the characteristics of your hair strand;
- Promotes proper cleansing of hair and scalp;
- Eliminates or reduces the use of other products and extra treatments;
- Provides the necessary care and nutrients for your hair's needs;
- Does not harm the hair.
Is it better to use solid shampoo or liquid shampoo?
Another important difference concerns sustainability. In addition to reducing by around 80% the use of water in the manufacturing of the product, solid shampoo does not require plastic packaging and lasts up to 5 times longer than liquid shampoo.
Is it recommended to use anti-dandruff and anti-dandruff shampoo?
However, it is always good to keep in mind that this kind of symptom may be related to other problems that the shampoo alone is not able to treat.
Falling hair, for instance, may be linked to nutritional deficiencies or hormonal problems (1). Dandruff, on its turn, may be a sign of stress or inflammation in the sebaceous glands (2). For this reason, the recommendation is to always seek a specialist to diagnose the causes of these problems.
Purchase criteria: What to take into account when comparing shampoos
With this information - added to everything you already know, in practice, about shampoo - it's time to choose the ideal product. But first, we would like to highlight a few points that can make the difference in your hair's results.
This is the first point to consider before buying a new shampoo. According to your hair type, you will be able to find the ideal product. Generally speaking, we can highlight:
|Hair type||Strand characteristics||Scalp characteristics|
|Normal||Soft and shiny||It does not dry out easily or present excess oiliness. Easy to comb, always clean.|
|Oily||Greasy looking hair with no volume||It needs to be washed daily, it may be excessively greasy and feel dirty.|
|Dry||It has a dry appearance||It is usually rough, coarse and with spiky ends. It requires extra care with hydration and nutrition and should not be washed every day. It may be dry and flaky.|
Situation of the hair shaft
Hair interventions such as colouring, straightening and excessive exposure to heat or chemical agents may interfere with the hair shaft's health. In these cases, it is necessary to look for the shampoo that best meets the specific needs of the moment.
Besides, the shape of the hair also requires special care. Thus, we highlight the following points:
- Chemically treated hair: prefer a shampoo with nutrients to replace damage to hair cuticles. In the case of discoloured and blonde hair, it should contain shading pigments;
- Curly hair: needs a shampoo that does not remove the natural oiliness of the thread, avoiding the increase of frizz;
- Fine and brittle hair: shampoo with amino acids and glycolic acid to replace all the lost proteins and renew the capillary fiber.
As we said, most of the best shampoos on the market have a series of products which are responsible for giving manageability and shine to your hair. However, some of them may disguise the real situation of your hair.
Therefore, always give preference to the so-called low poo. These products have little or no chemical additives and are ideal to preserve or recover the structure of the hair, depending on the case.
Before choosing, check the composition of the shampoo and, if possible, stay away from those that contain sulfate, parabens and silicones. Your strands will thank you!
The skin of the scalp is susceptible to external agents 24 hours a day. Adding another risk factor by using an unreliable shampoo is not a good idea.
So, before buying, check if the product formula has any components to which you have some kind of sensitivity or allergy. When in doubt, don't buy it.
Buying personal hygiene products is a practice that accompanies us since childhood. However, choosing the best shampoo for the needs of each hair is not as intuitive as it seems.
To prove this, we show here some details about the composition of these products and how they act both on the hair and scalp, with tips on how to choose the best shampoo for your hair type.
If you liked this material, please share it with your friends. Thank you very much!
(Source of the highlighted image: monticello/ 123rf.com)
Fatores nutricionais e resistência da haste capilar: estudo clínico piloto. Flávia Alvim Sant'Anna Addor, Vanessa de Melo Cardoso Pereira, Felipe Fernandes de Abreu, Silvana Lima da Silva. Rede de Revistas Científicas da América Latina, Caribe , Espanha e Portugal. 2012.
A caspa e a dermatite seborreica do couro cabeludo e seu tratamento tópico. Renata Cristina Pedra Bueno. São Paulo. 2007.