obby gardeners know that a garden means a lot of green waste. Mowing the lawn, weeding and trimming the hedge – the garden bag is a practical helper in any case! Here we will shortly present everything you need to know about garden bags. Product overview, guide and answers to the most frequently asked questions.
We want to help you find the right garden bag for your garden and make your purchase decision easier. Furthermore, you will find more information on this page about care, DIY and what else you can use the garden bag for.
- The garden bag is a real all-round talent. Flexible in use in the garden, it can also be used as a storage box or as a garden bed.
- Classic, pop-up or on wheels – we will show you the different types and their advantages.
- Material and volume depend on what the garden bag is used for and how large your garden is.
The Best Garden Bag: Our Choices
Buying and evaluation criteria for garden bags
Don’t be overwhelmed by the variety of manufacturers and products. We have selected the most important buying criteria for you here:
In the following, we explain what the individual criteria are.
The size or volume of the right garden bag depends on your own garden and what is to be transported. The following table should help you decide which size you need.
|Area of use||Volume|
|Balcony and terrace||80 litres|
|small gardens up to 100m²||100 – 200 litres|
|medium gardens up to 300m²||up to 300 litres|
|large gardens from 300m²||from 500 litres|
Depending on the size of your garden, you can of course buy several bags in different sizes. This way you always have the right size at hand.
Most garden bags are made of polyester or polypropylene. Both materials are strong, weatherproof and largely waterproof. Polypropylene bags have a thicker fabric and are therefore more robust. Alternative materials are jute, linen or canvas.
No matter which material you choose, all garden bags are environmentally friendly because they can be used several times and will last for many years if well cared for.
The carrying handle is one of the most important parts of the garden bag. Because without the handles it will be difficult to transport them filled. Above all, make sure that the handles are not only welded on, but also sewn. The more often, the better! The welded handles can tear off after some time, which prevents the stitching.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about garden bags answered in detail
There is a wide range of garden bags, also known as leaf bags, garden waste bags or garden bags. That’s why we answer frequently asked questions below that you should know about before you buy a garden bag.
Why do you need a garden bag?
Thanks to the robust, waterproof material, they can also be transported to the garden dump without any problems. The garden bags are easy to store and offer security that nothing falls out and soils the car; especially the bags with lids.
After use or during the winter, the garden bags can be folded up to save space and stored for the next season.
What types of garden bags are there?
- The pop-up garden bag has carrying handles and is self-erecting. Supported by a spiral-like support strut sewn into the fabric, it gives the bag a stable stand. However, usually only smaller models are available.
- The classic garden sack is self-standing, has carrying handles and largely has a sturdy ring that must be placed above the opening. This keeps the generous opening clear and prevents the bag from sinking in on itself.
- The garden bag with lid is particularly practical when garden waste is to be stored temporarily or transported. Even when stored over a longer period of time, the lid prevents moisture or vermin from getting into the garden bag.
- Rectangular garden sacks are particularly suitable for transport by car, as the entire boot space can be used here. In addition, the larger base area of the bag offers space for bulky branches and coarser waste.
- Garden bags with wheels are particularly suitable for people who cannot carry heavy loads or have back problems. The bag is attached to a frame (similar to a sack truck) and can thus be moved around the garden comfortably.
How much does a garden bag cost?
|Price range||Available products|
|few Euros||Jute bags or lower quality products|
|around 20€||robust garden bags, different types|
|about 40€||garden bags with wheels|
Often the garden bags can also be purchased as a set.
What alternatives are there?
An alternative to plastic is woven baskets, which are also available in similar shapes and sizes. And if you are talented at the sewing machine, you can even sew your own garden bag. There are sewing instructions for this on various platforms on the internet.
What else can garden bags be used for?
To find the right garden bag, you should make sure that it fits your garden and is not too small. But the type and material also play an important role in the selection. The range is varied and the decision is not easy. For this reason, we have presented products in more detail in this guide, listed important criteria and answered questions about the topic. This should make it easier for you to make a purchase decision.
Whether for the disposal of garden waste, storage or as a mini-bed for your garden on the balcony. The garden bag is not only robust, but also flexible and indispensable for every hobby gardener.
(Cover photo: Jake Givens / Unsplash)