Every home looks different. Thanks to the huge variety of furnishing materials, everyone can design their home individually and make sure they feel at home. The possibilities range from simple chairs, tables and sofas to cupboards, display cabinets and shelves.
Shelves come in a wide variety of sizes, shapes and versions. Hanging, standing, round or square. Of course, this also applies to glass shelves. These details can be very decisive for the purchase of such a piece of furniture.
One thing is certain: a shelf is the ideal complement to your room furnishings and, in addition to looking beautiful, it also offers storage space for everything you want to keep neatly organised. In this guide, you will learn what is important for glass shelves and which glass shelves we recommend.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Glass Shelf: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for glass shelves
- 5 Guide: Frequently asked questions about glass shelving answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
- Thanks to its material, the glass shelf is a very modern-looking piece of furniture that blends in with its room and conveys an airy, inviting feeling.
- Because of the glass, more care is needed when handling the shelf. It can break more easily and withstands less weight than other standard shelves.
- Glass shelving comes in a wide variety of sizes. you should work out exactly how high, wide and long you want the shelf to be, how many shelves it needs to have and where it will be placed. If it doesn't fit in well with its surroundings, you'll only be annoyed about it later.
The Best Glass Shelf: Our Choices
Buying and evaluation criteria for glass shelves
To help you decide on the right shelf, we have summarised the most important criteria that are important when buying such a piece of furniture:
Now we'll go into a little detail on these points and see if you can answer all the criteria with a "Yes, this fits".
There is no doubt that design is the most important criterion of all. Why else would you choose a glass shelf over a conventional one made of wood or plastic? You have already imagined it in your dreams. This is how big it should be, this is how many shelves it must have, i this corner it will stand!
The location plays almost as important a role in the purchase decision. you can't want a shelf if you don't even know where you want it. Therefore, you should think about where it will be placed in the future. Do you want a stylish bath accessories shelf in the bathroom or rather an almost disappearing TV table in the living room or simply a fashionable bookshelf?
The load-bearing capacity also plays a major role, or rather it is of great importance, because furniture usually has an upper limit of kilograms that it can withstand. With glass shelves, this limit is much lower, as glass is a less stable material than the usual materials used for furniture. So you'd better think about what kind of objects you want to put on it beforehand.
You know it for sure. The feeling when something doesn't quite fit. Floor panels are not parallel, pictures hang crooked or the shelf hangs a little over the door frame. Accordingly, the dimensions of the shelf are enormously important. After all, you will have to look at it every day. So it's best to think about how wide, deep and long the shelf should be beforehand.
How much space do you need? What do you want to store in the glass shelf? If you can answer these two questions, you will know approximately how big your shelf needs to be.
There are also different ways of assembling. You can either stick it together, screw it down or glue it on. If you want it to be easy, choose the plug-in option. If you know how to use screws and want a solid fastening, then you choose the screws. If you don't want to damage your walls, try gluing.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about glass shelving answered in detail
Do you still have questions that need to be answered? Here you will find the most frequently asked questions on this topic and our answers.
For whom is a glass shelf suitable?
A glass shelf is suitable for everyone. The only things to consider are where it should be placed, what you want to store in it/on it, how it should look and how expensive it is in the end. For example, you can use it in your bathroom to store your toothbrush, room spray or magazines, or you can enrich your living room with a small wall shelf on which some potted plants will bloom. There are no limits to your creativity.
What types of glass shelves are there?
Here are some shelf variations that pursue different goals and can be used in different ways:
- Bookcase: As the name suggests, this shelf is suitable for safely storing your book collection.
- Room divider: The room divider ensures to separate one's room into 2 parts, whereby this gives a completely new perspective of the room scheme.
- Wall shelf: This type of shelf is hung on the wall. This way you save space in the room and decorate your bare wall at the same time.
- Wall shelves: These shelves adorn an entire wall and provide plenty of storage space.
- Corner shelf: As you might expect, this shelf is suitable for filling a corner with. Especially when space is limited, this shelf shows its strengths.
- Occasional shelf: These are the small siblings of the large shelves. They are usually found in the bathroom or bedroom. They don't offer much space but don't take up much room either.
- Cube shelf: The main focus here is on the stylish aspect. Doesn't offer much space, but is a nice decorative element.
- Display cabinet: This shelf can be closed with a door. This means that the objects are better protected.
As you can see, there are many ways you can use shelves. Whether as a decorative cube, as storage space for books or as a pot plant holder, the shelves are versatile and offer enough variation possibilities.
Glass shelves also make super decorative shelves. You could replace the wooden wall shelves used in the picture above with glass and you'd have a whole new look. That's the beauty of interior design. You have so many elements and options to make the most of your room.
Should you assemble the glass shelf yourself?
The question is whether you should assemble the shelf yourself or have a fitter do it. Not only the price plays a role, but also how the shelf is to be assembled. Among other things, it can be important whether the brackets are visible or not. But that is up to you.
If you are good with your hands, assemble the shelf yourself. If you don't mind the extra cost and don't want to make any mistakes, then have a fitter assemble it for you.
How much does a glass shelf cost?
Prices range from €10 to €1,000. Differences are made by utility, design, size and load-bearing capacity. Below you will find the price ranges and what you can expect:
|Price range||Available products|
|Low-priced (20 - 50 €)||Small shelf with 1-2 shelves, rather simple in quality|
|Medium-priced (50 - 150 €)||Several shelves and generally larger shelf, more stable workmanship|
|High-priced (from 150 €)||Designer pieces and large shelves with additional functions, such as lighting. The shelf is professionally finished.|
As you can see, the price depends entirely on how big and stable you want your purchase to be. Basically, however, you can get rock-solid shelves in the low to medium price range.
What is the difference between glass shelving and conventional shelving?
The main difference is the material used. On the one hand, the glass gives you a sleek and modern design element. Because it is transparent, it is less conspicuous in the room and appears slimmer or the room appears more airy.
On the other hand, the disadvantage is stability and durability. Therefore, caution is advised when handling it! If you place heavy objects on it or accidentally drop something heavy on it, you will have to clean it up.
With such a huge selection of furniture, it is easy to lose track of everything. There are so many different pieces of furniture in the most diverse designs. Everyone has various furnishing elements at home. Without them, the flat would look pretty sparse.
With a glass shelf, you can keep an overview of the room, because this shelf blends in beautifully with the room. It is most often used in the bathroom, but its features work just as well in the hallway or living room. It is important not to put too much weight on it, as the glass can bear less weight.
(Cover photo: Huy Phan / Pexels)