Not everyone has enough space in their home to accommodate guests over the weekend. It is necessary to organise a space-saving and yet cosy sleeping option. In such cases, an inflatable guest bed proves to be the optimal solution. Because it is small and easy to stow away, and transforms into a comfortable place to sleep in just a few minutes.
With our inflatable guest bed test 2021 we want to find the right inflatable guest bed for you and your guests. We have put several models under the microscope and want to tell you the most important facts as well as the respective advantages and disadvantages. In this way, we want to make your purchase decision as easy as possible.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The best inflatable guest bed: Our selection
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for inflatable guest beds
- 5 Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying inflatable guest beds
- 5.1 What is special about an inflatable guest bed and what advantages does it offer?
- 5.2 What types of inflatable guest beds are there?
- 5.3 What is an inflatable guest bed suitable for?
- 5.4 How much does an inflatable guest bed cost?
- 5.5 What alternatives are there to an inflatable guest bed?
- 5.6 What accessories are needed for an inflatable guest bed?
- 5.7 How long does it take to inflate and deflate with an electric pump?
- 5.8 How can a defective inflatable bed be repaired?
- 6 Conclusion
- An inflatable bed is most suitable when guests are staying overnight and is also popular when sleeping in a tent or car. It is an ideal option as it is quick to inflate and easy to store.
- Air beds come in a variety of designs. For example, there are models with integrated electric pumps that inflate the bed by themselves in a few minutes.
- Depending on the space and requirements, you can choose between a single-size bed, queen-size bed or king-size bed. They offer a good sleeping comfort not only for the guests, but also in the tent or car.
The best inflatable guest bed: Our selection
Buying and evaluation criteria for inflatable guest beds
Your guests should feel completely comfortable and find a restful sleep. The bed is particularly important for this, because several hours are spent in it. Therefore, you should create a resting place that satisfies your guests. We would like to show you which criteria you should keep in mind when buying an inflatable guest bed.
Consider the following features:
In the next paragraphs we explain what you should look for in each factor and when buying.
First of all, you should think about the purpose of the inflatable guest bed. The air beds come in different designs and sizes, from narrow single beds to king-size models.
If you don't have much space, you can buy a single-size air bed, i.e. for one person. However, if you are expecting larger guests, you can opt for a double air bed.
In the following table, we would like to describe the most common models in more detail.
|Single-size airbed||Single-size airbeds are usually 185 to 190 centimetres long and approximately 80 to 100 centimetres wide. This model is relatively small, compact and uncomplicated. It is designed for occupancy by a maximum of one person.|
|Queen-size airbed||Queen-size airbeds are usually around 200 centimetres long and 150 centimetres wide. This is the model you will find most often in the shops, as it offers considerably more space and comfort for a maximum of two people. It is also suitable as a spacious sleeping option for one person.|
|King-Size Airbed||The dimensions of this oversized airbed are 200 centimetres long and approximately 180 to 190 centimetres wide. It offers a wide sleeping surface and is designed for two people. This model is the largest available. Therefore, even a small family with a small child will find enough space in most cases.|
A special feature is that inflatable guest beds can be up to 50 centimetres high. The height offers additional comfort and the feeling of lying in a normal bed. It is equally suitable for older people, as sitting up and down is more comfortable.
Make sufficient enquiries before buying and measure the space you have available. Stowing the inflatable bed should not be a problem as it can be rolled up small.
Air beds need to be filled with a large amount of air. You can choose between a classic self-inflating air bed or an air bed with an integrated electric pump.
- Hand or foot pump: With this variant, the hand or foot pump is plugged into the valve of the bed and operated by hand or foot. It is possible that you will start to sweat, depending on your condition. In addition, you save energy because no power source is needed. The method takes a few minutes, but you can lie down on your inflated bed immediately after the effort.
- Electric pump: The integrated pump can inflate the bed completely within a few minutes without breaking a sweat. The same applies to pumping it out, because the pump can return the inflated bed to its original shape. A small compressor is connected to the valve on the bed via an air hose. With high-quality models, the degree of hardness can even be determined via the pump. Bear in mind, however, that in most cases you will need a power source for this variant.
Both variants have their advantages and disadvantages and are inflated very quickly. Depending on your wishes and needs, you can choose between these two options, taking into account the factors of time, power and power source.
As a rule, an inflatable guest bed is made of a plastic material, PVC to be precise. Air beds made of rubberised cotton material are used rather rarely nowadays.
The load capacity of the air bed depends not only on the thickness, but also on the processing of the material.
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is considered to be questionable, as so-called softeners can lead to possible damage to health. It can also lead to unpleasant chemical odours.
Let the airbed air out for a few hours before use and put a sheet over it.
For singles, a load capacity of up to approx. 130 kilograms is possible. For couples, more than double that is possible. According to the manufacturers, the air bed should be able to withstand a weight of around 270 kilograms.
The surface of an airbed is often covered with velour. This makes it feel like a soft mattress. Likewise, covering a bed sheet is not a problem because it does not slip. The surface is therefore fluffy, non-slip and largely waterproof.
In order for the inflatable bed to be really comfortable for sleeping, it must be well made and prove various functions. Should minor problems occur, some can be remedied with a repair kit. This is sometimes included in the purchase.
Small damages and holes can be patched to prevent unwanted air leaks. To do this, small plastic cut-outs are pecked onto the affected area with a special adhesive.
The glue should dry for about 24 hours. The valves should also be stable and close well. Spare parts are also available in some cases.
Watch out for sharp objects on the floor and sharp edges or kinks in the material.
Guide: Questions you should ask yourself before buying inflatable guest beds
At this point, we would like to answer a few questions about inflatable guest beds that you may already have. After reading the guide, you should have all the information you need.
What is special about an inflatable guest bed and what advantages does it offer?
For this reason, it is particularly suitable for small flats where every square centimetre counts.
The airbed is set up and ready for the guest in no time at all. In the best case, an integrated electric pump does the work. It should also not fail in the event of a power failure. Additional valves for manual inflation and deflation are included.
You can also adjust the airbed to be as hard or soft as you like by adjusting the air pressure. You can't do that with any other mattress.
An airbed is an ideal solution not only for home use, when moving house or for guests, but also for camping in a tent or in the back of a car. You can easily fold it up and transport it to a place of your choice.
There are so many different models to suit different needs.
What types of inflatable guest beds are there?
In the following section, we will compare these options and tell you the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Inflatable guest bed with electric pump
In most cases, the inflatable bed with electric pump requires a power connection, but the inflation is self-inflating. This makes it suitable for physically weak or elderly people.
The spine is ergonomically supported, relieved and relaxed because an even distribution of pressure is possible. It is also suitable for allergy sufferers, as mites or mould are a rarity.
With this variant, there are numerous models with different additional functions and in different sizes. It can be stored in a space-saving way and offers several uses as it is easily transportable.
Inflatable guest bed for manual pumps
The inflatable guest bed without electric pump requires a hand or foot pump. Compared to the other model, it is somewhat more time-consuming, but can also be set up within a few minutes.
With a little muscle power and stamina, this model is also available in various designs and sizes. After deflating, the airbed can be easily stowed away and takes up little space.
This air bed also supports, relieves and relaxes the spine, as air is the load-bearing element. Regardless of body weight, an even distribution of pressure is possible. Allergy sufferers are also happy here, as their enemies rarely appear.
What is an inflatable guest bed suitable for?
- Visitors: Whether for spontaneous visitors or a friend who regularly drops by - an airbed offers comfort for every guest. Depending on the number of visitors and the space available, you can choose between a single-size airbed or a double-size bed for several people. It is an ideal solution for a few overnight stays.
- Moving: After an exhausting move, an air mattress is a great way to relax. While you're waiting for your bed to be delivered, an air mattress is a good interim solution. If friends are coming over to look at the flat, you can store the airbed in a moving box in a few minutes.
- Camping: If you are adventurous, you can take your inflatable bed to a festival or camping in a tent. Pay attention to the material and its thickness. If there is no power source available, you can inflate it with a hand or foot pump, or a battery-powered air pump. For extra warmth, you can use a blanket or sleeping pad. Depending on the size of the tent, you can choose between different models.
- Car: During a road trip, you will sometimes spend the night in the car. There are now special air mattresses for a medium-sized car that fit on the back seat. Flat air beds are suitable for this. If you drive a larger, roomy car, your sleeping space can be a bit bigger.
In the meantime, air beds for indoor and outdoor use are available in different sizes, cuts and made of different materials.
This way you can equip yourself properly for any situation and enjoy a good night's sleep - be it in your home, tent or car.
How much does an inflatable guest bed cost?
The selection of inflatable guest beds is large, and so is the price range. The costs start at about 10 euros and go up to about 500 euros. Therefore, it is recommended that you familiarise yourself with the topic and the product.
|Air bed with electric pump||approx. 40 to 500 euros|
|Self-inflating air bed||approx. 10 to 100 euros|
You can find an airbed with an integrated electric pump from 40 to 500 euros. With the high-quality models, you can expect very good quality, a king-size bed and several additional functions.
This variant is convincing because of the pump, which inflates the bed independently. Common models for simple use can be found at a solid price.
Self-inflating air beds are available from 10 euros to over 100 euros. There are significant differences in quality, which you should also take into account. If you want to ensure durability, we recommend a higher-quality model, as the material is usually somewhat thicker.
For occasional overnight stays for young people, a cheaper model is perfectly adequate.
What alternatives are there to an inflatable guest bed?
In the following section, we will give you a brief overview of the alternatives to the inflatable guest bed.
|Air mattress||An air mattress is an inflatable mattress made of a man-made fabric. It differs from the air bed mainly in the lying height. The valves are used to inflate or deflate the air. The air mattress is foldable, transportable and easy to store. An air mattress is less suitable for several overnight stays when a good night's sleep and no back pain are desired.|
|Isomat||An isomat is a type of sleeping pad that is mainly used for camping. It insulates heat, protects against sharp objects and offers more lying comfort due to its soft surface.|
|Folding bed||A folding bed is a space-saving alternative to the classic bed. The different versions of folding beds allow for quick tidying up and stowing away. Meanwhile, there are also folding beds in the wardrobe or in a sideboard.|
Each alternative has its advantages and disadvantages. For this reason, it is really important to think in advance about what you need, for whom and for how long.
What accessories are needed for an inflatable guest bed?
- Bed sheet: You should always put a bed sheet on top. You don't need a special sheet, just make sure you choose the right size. With a sheet, the surface feels better because you can choose the fabric yourself. You can also prevent accidental stains or sweat marks because you can put the sheet in the washing machine after each use.
- Protector: The protector serves as additional padding and support. You can choose the thickness of the protector yourself, as it is available in several thicknesses. The protector not only protects the surface of the bed, but also keeps it clean. This way, the airbed will last longer.
- Pillows: In the meantime, there are also airbeds with an elevation in the head area that can serve as a pillow. Some guests may be able to do without a pillow, but if you want to ensure a good night's sleep, add a pillow as well. After all, most people like to snuggle up with it.
How long does it take to inflate and deflate with an electric pump?
Most pumps also have a different function and can be switched. The same power is used to let the air out of the bed. You can expect a similar time, ranging from three to five minutes.
How can a defective inflatable bed be repaired?
Now the short step-by-step instructions:
- Pump up the bed completely.
- Try to find the hole.
- Apply glue to a large area of the damaged area.
- Put the patch on the affected area.
- Press it down so that it bonds with the glue and let it dry for 24 hours.
In most cases, you will be sent instructions. If you still don't know how to do it, you can find many helpful tutorials on the internet.
Instead of an old bed with a worn-out mattress, you can offer your visitors a much more comfortable option. An inflatable airbed is not only more comfortable, but also inflated and ready for use within minutes. It is important to analyse the criteria you expect from an airbed at the beginning.
Depending on the space, you can decide between a single, queen or king-size bed. Likewise, a back-friendly or particularly robust variant can meet the requirements of the guests. Thus, every visitor, young or old, is well catered for. Due to the versatility of the air bed, it can also be used in a tent or car.
Photo source: Canova / Flickr