Are you tired of conventional refined pasta and its drawbacks? Are you celiac and can't find an alternative? If your answer is yes, you are interested in this product. Lately, there has been a lot of talk about lentil pasta as an alternative to processed wheat flour pasta. Its origin, 100 % vegetable, based on legumes, has made it a revelation.
It has become a healthier option than conventional pasta, but how much do you know about it? What advantages does it have? What can it bring us at the nutritional level? These and more questions are what we will try to answer throughout this article. So you can have useful information to choose the product that best suits your tastes.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection: The Best Lentil Pasta Options
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Lentil Pasta
- 4.1 What is lentil pasta?
- 4.2 What are the benefits of legume flour pasta?
- 4.3 What are the advantages of lentil pasta?
- 4.4 What are the main characteristics of lentil pasta?
- 4.5 How is the lentil pasta cooked?
- 4.6 What are the minerals and vitamins found in lentil pasta?
- 4.7 Are all brands of lentil pasta healthy?
- 4.8 Where can you buy lentil pasta?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Vegetable flour dough has a higher protein content than conventional dough. It is also rich in fiber and much easier to digest and has a greater satiating effect.
- Does not contain gluten, so maybe an alternative to consider for celiacs. Besides, most of the products we find are organically produced, which translates into a reduced toxin level.
- Generally, it's only, and the main ingredient is the legume itself. Therefore, it does not usually contain additives or preservatives. At the same time, its texture and shape are practically identical to conventional pasta. This makes it an ideal substitute for the more traditional pasta.
Our Selection: The Best Lentil Pasta Options
Many are the brands that have been set in the boom and demand for this product. Therefore, we find in the market an endless number of offers to choose from. But beware, not all have the same composition: some are more natural and less processed. To make your search easier, we bring you a classification with the best products for sale.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Lentil Pasta
Lentils pasta is becoming increasingly popular in the market and can now be purchased in many shops. When dealing with a novel product, it is normal that many unknowns arise around its benefits and so on. Therefore, this section is intended to dispel the most recurrent doubts that consumers may have about this food.
What is lentil pasta?
Its origin, therefore, is one hundred percent vegetables. However, it may have been manufactured in places where other gluten-containing foods are handled. For this reason, we must at all times heed the instructions indicated on the packaging, which will inform us about this issue.
What are the benefits of legume flour pasta?
Therefore, per serving, pasta flour legumes contain more of these components. Besides, it does not include the anti-nutrients contained in dried fruits. This is explained by the fact that it is made from flour, as well as by the fact that it is previously boiled. It does not need to be soaked and does not require a long cooking time.
It is also worth mentioning its satiating capacity, which is higher than that of conventional pasta. As it has a lower glycemic index, legume pasta is used to lose weight and plan vegan diets. It can contribute with an essential contribution of proteins to this type of diet. As described above, the pulp is defined as a viable alternative to the conventional pulp. However, it should be used as a complement to legumes, and never as a substitute.
What are the advantages of lentil pasta?
What are the main characteristics of lentil pasta?
- Your preparation and cooking time are very fast, so it is ideal when there is no time to cook vegetables.
- His higher concentration of proteins and fiber makes its satiating effect greater than that of conventional kinds of pasta.
- The appearance, shape, and texture are the same as those of wheat flour dough. Therefore, it is a sensational alternative for children, who may be reluctant to eat legumes.
- As it is an alternative to conventional pasta, its use can be the same as this one. Thus, after being cooked, it can be used in both prepared and cold dishes along with salads, fish or meat, among others.
- In the field of sports, it is a great help for recovery in background sports. Its high protein content, coupled with its ease and convenience of preparation, make it ideal for combining with other foods.
- its gluten-free composition makes it suitable for celiacs.
How is the lentil pasta cooked?
It is also advisable that vegetables accompany the pasta. In this way, even more, fiber is obtained, as well as vitamins and minerals. A suggestion would be to sauté the pasta with cherry tomatoes or with some vegetables and mushrooms. If we opt for a more omnivorous diet, it can be combined with lean meats as well as tomato sauce. These options allow you to enjoy a tastier dish and at the same time, healthier than the usual one.
What are the minerals and vitamins found in lentil pasta?
In any case, it is always advisable to consult the nutritional label of the product we choose. This is necessary because the intake of minerals and vitamins may vary depending on the brand. In addition, other components may be added that we may not be interested in consuming.
Below is a table comparing the nutritional compositions (per 100 grams) of wheat pasta and lentil pasta:
|Lentil pasta (100g)||Wheat pasta (100g)|
Are all brands of lentil pasta healthy?
However, although it does not naturally contain gluten, some brands make their pasta in places where they use products that do contain gluten. For that reason, some brands may incorporate traces of gluten belonging to other foods. These marks are not recommended for coeliacs. It should also be noted that most of the brands that sell this pasta bear the European eco-label. This indicates the quality and ecological origin of the product.
Where can you buy lentil pasta?
Right now, you can find it and buy it at sites like Carrefour or Mercadona. Also, in the eco sections of other supermarkets. Finally, online platforms such as Amazon offer the possibility of acquiring it, presenting some of the best brands available.
Before choosing a brand and acquiring our product, it is convenient to have several factors in mind. Although most of the products offered are of organic origin, it is necessary to pay attention to their labeling to make sure. To do this, here are the basic purchase criteria that can help you choose the best option:
- Nutritional Composition
- Presence of Gluten and Allergens
- Origin of Ingredients
It is advisable to consult its nutritional composition to make sure that it is a 100% product made with red lentil flour. If so, per 100 grams should contain 26 grams of protein and 7.6 grams of fiber. In addition, your fat and sugar levels should be low, with fat levels around 1.7 grams per 100 grams and sugar levels around 1.2 grams.
Presence of Gluten and Allergens
This criterion is especially important for coeliacs. As explained above, lentil pasta is generally gluten-free. Even so, there are manufacturers who use and handle other foods with gluten or other allergens in the same place where they make the pasta.
For this reason, pasta can sometimes contain traces of other foods such as soybeans or gluten. If so, this information will appear on the product box, so it is essential to look carefully.
Origin of Ingredients
It should be remembered that most brands of vegetable pasta are 100% vegetable and natural. This is one of the main reasons why it is chosen by consumers who want to eat a healthier diet. However, don't forget to read your nutrition label carefully.
We recommend you to choose products free of additives or preservatives that take away the naturalness of the product. For that reason, keeping in mind the nutritional composition provided in this article may help dispel doubts about it.
Vegetable pasta is characterized precisely by having a texture similar to that of conventional pasta. Part of its success lies in its similarity to it, making us forget that it comes from legumes. However, some marks may leave the dough too floury. Some consumers have already checked it and warn about it on websites. We, therefore, recommend that you always read the ratings of users who have already purchased the product.
It is recommended to opt for those products that contain an organic production certification. This ensures that the pasta does not contain any other additives or processes and that it retains all its benefits. In addition, it demonstrates that its origin and production have been respectful of the environment.
Lentil pasta is undoubtedly a healthier option than conventional pasta. Their different origins give them different properties and amounts of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fiber. However, it can never be a substitute for legumes, but rather a compliment, since there are differences concerning the satiety they produce and the quantities of their components.
Its easy preparation, shape, and texture make it an ideal food to complement the supply of legumes that children need. It also has advantages for coeliacs, since it does not contain gluten and is 100% vegetable. Besides, they are low in fats and sugars and carry a large number of vitamins and minerals.
Dare to try it and improve the quality of your diet with this type of pasta. If you liked this article, share it on social networks or leave a comment!
(Featured image source: Hrytsenko: 85029736/ 123rf.com)