Originally from the hip-hop and skater scene, the men's hoodie quickly established itself in the wardrobes of fashion-conscious men. The hoodie is versatile and can also be worn as a sporty alternative to a light jacket.
Hoodies are now available in every conceivable colour with a wide variety of prints. A hoodie for men combines sportiness with casualness and is also comfortable to wear. That's why it's an absolute must-have for every man.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Men's Hoodie: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying hoodies for men
- 4 Men's hoodies: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's hoodies: How to achieve the perfect look with a hoodie
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Men's Hoodie: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying hoodies for men
There are countless ways for men to wear a hoodie for men. The hoodie is sporty, casual and comfortable at the same time.
What's more, hoodies come in every colour imaginable. Bright colours go particularly well with jeans, while plainer shades go well with coloured chinos. Whether as casual wear or for relaxed dress etiquette to work, you can't go wrong with a men's hoodie.
With so many hoodies to choose from, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. That's why we have listed the most important buying criteria that you should consider when buying a hoodie:
- Fabric type
We will go into detail about the individual criteria in the following sections. In this way, we want to make your purchase decision as easy as possible.
Most hoodies for men are available in sizes S - XXL. Some models are also available in sizes XS and / or 3XL.
If you are unsure about which size fits you, you should use the size you use for T-shirts and jumpers as a guide. In most cases, this also fits hoodies perfectly.
Since hoodies are usually cut a little wider, they are usually sold as unisex. Despite the wider cut, men's hoodies are usually a regular fit.
Nevertheless, there are also slightly tighter-fitting hoodies and so-called oversized hoodies, which are cut very wide.
Most hoodies for men are made of cotton, polyester or a mixture of the two. Only a very few models use other types of fabric, such as viscose, in their blend. Polyester has had to fight prejudice for a while because it is not a natural fabric, unlike cotton for example.
Yet polyester is very easy to care for and durable. It is also resistant to stretching and shrinking. Which is why polyester is also very dimensionally stable. These properties make it a popular fabric in the fashion industry.
Hoodies for men are available in almost any colour. Especially bright colours can be perfectly combined with classic jeans. Darker or generally plainer men's hoodies, on the other hand, also go well with chinos in bold colours.
Generally speaking, hoodies can be worn in a variety of colour combinations. It all depends on personal taste and which colours suit a person.
Imprint / Patch
Logos, symbols, pictures and the like are either printed or sewn onto men's hoodies. Sewing on is especially suitable for simple logos and symbols. Sewing on, on the other hand, is rather unsuitable for more complex images.
With an imprint, more colours and smaller elements can be displayed. On the other hand, an imprint is more susceptible to fading or discolouration when washed frequently.
Similar to the colours, it is very much up to your taste. Do you prefer a men's hoodie with a simple, discreet brand logo or a somewhat crazier print? Of course, there are also hoodies without any print or patches.
Men's hoodies: The most important questions answered
In the following sections we have answered the most frequently asked questions about hoodies. In this way, we hope to simplify your buying decision.
Are there different types of hoodies for men?
Hoodies or also hooded jumpers are already a type of jumper. Therefore, in that sense, there are not many different sub-types of men's hoodies. Nevertheless, we have listed two distinguishing features here.
- Men's hoodies with pocket: This type of hoodie for men has a pocket on the stomach area. Due to its positioning, this is a so-called kangaroo pocket. It opens both to the left and to the right. On the other hand, it is closed at the top and bottom. A kangaroo pocket is primarily a visual element that makes the hoodie look more sporty. The practical use of such a pocket is limited. Nevertheless, most hoodies for men have a kangaroo pocket.
- Men's hoodies without a pocket: Without a kangaroo pocket, a men's hoodie looks a little cleaner. Often, hoodies without a pocket also have a slightly tighter fit. In addition, not having a pocket offers more space for a print on the front of the hoodie.
In the end, these sub-types are still very similar. Therefore, one type has hardly any advantages or disadvantages compared to the other type.
How do I know if my men's hoodie fits well?
In general, the normal fit for men's hoodies is similar to the fit of a normal jumper or T-shirt. Nevertheless, it should also not be too loose so that it doesn't look baggy.
Generally, there are five rules:
- Width: The hoodie should fit loosely, but the waistband should sit close to the pelvis.
- Length: The hoodie should not cover the bottom, but should end below the hips.
- Sleeves: The length should go to the wrists. The sleeves should be loose, but the waistband should be close to the wrists.
- Shoulder: The seam of the sleeves should sit at the outer end of the shoulder bones.
- Collar: The collar should be neither too tight nor too wide.
If you follow these rules when buying a hoodie, you can be sure that it will fit excellently.
What are the trends in men's hoodies?
Hoodies in dark colours with large text prints are currently in fashion. The print is usually in a patchwork style. Instead of a large text print, however, it can also be a large printed logo.
The oversized trend also continues. That's why oversized hoodies are still in vogue. By the way, the two trends can be combined perfectly, so there are many hoodies for men that follow both trends.
Are there hoodies for men without a hood?
The term hoodie is derived from the English 'hood'. Which translates as hood. So a hoodie is nothing more than a hooded jumper.
Accordingly, the answer is: no, there are no hoodies for men without a hood. The hood is the central element of every hoodie.
What designs are there in men's hoodies?
Hoodies for men come in numerous different designs. With different colours and the possibility of printing on the front and back, countless combinations are possible.
From the hoodie without print in a plain shade to the brightest colours with flashy prints and fancy cords, everything is possible. Designers are always coming up with new variations.
Styling tips for men's hoodies: How to achieve the perfect look with a hoodie
Hoodies for men bring a lot of variability and flexibility to your outfits. Because hoodies are real all-rounders in your wardrobe. Whether you like it sporty, comfortable or casual, a hoodie can do it all.
- The classic version is a men's hoodie with a print combined with jeans. There is a wide range of colours of hoodies to choose from.
- Alternatively, you can wear a hoodie with chinos. The chinos can also have strong green or red tones.
- The advantage with trousers is that you can also wear colours that would not suit you with a top. In this case, the men's hoodie should be in a plainer colour.
So you can do almost nothing wrong with a hoodie. That's why the hoodie for men has rightly gone from being a niche item to a mainstream item.
The hoodie for men convinces with its versatility. Mainly, it is part of a chic and casual leisure look. With appropriate dress codes, however, it can also be worn well to work. Whether in a classic outfit with jeans or in the alternative with chinos, feel free to wear some colour.
One or even several men's hoodies should not be missing from any wardrobe. Especially as they can also be worn over a T-shirt as a substitute for a light jacket.
Image source: unsplash / 123rf