Organization, class, and punctuality. These are three notions related to watches and three qualities that those who wear a watch can embody. The benefit of watches is that there are so many styles available, that you can buy one that fits your form and personality. Many people use watches as a complement to their clothing, while others as an expression of their character.
The history of watches is very interesting. They became a revolution during the First World War when soldiers realized that it was very difficult to continually check their pocket watches to find out the time. Soldiers began to hook their pocket watches around their wrists to make this task easier. This is the birth of the wristwatch and why we now can enjoy this fantastic invention.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Ranking: The best men's watches
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about men's watches
- 4.1 What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a watch?
- 4.2 What information does a watch provide?
- 4.3 Analog or digital watch?
- 4.4 What is the difference between a quartz watch and a mechanical watch?
- 4.5 Should I buy a mechanical or a quartz watch?
- 4.6 What are the parts of a watch?
- 4.7 Is a watch a good investment for the future?
- 4.8 How do you care for a watch?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Usually, watches are worn on the left wrist. The reason for this is because most people are right-handed, so it allows us to check the time while our right hand is occupied with another task. It also means that the watch doesn't get in the way or become uncomfortable when writing with a pen.
- Despite the fact that we all have mobile phones in our pockets that can also tell us the time, clocks and watches are still a big part of society. Technology companies have even adapted to the continued demand for watches by creating 'smart' watches, that are connected to smartphones.
- Switzerland is the most recognized country when it comes to the manufacturing of watches. Although wristwatches were not invented in Switzerland, this country is renowned for producing the best watches and is home to the most prestigious brands.
Ranking: The best men's watches
There are watches of all different types and prices. The range is so extensive that it can easily be overwhelming as a consumer looking for a watch. Watches can range from cheap, informal, plastic accessories to elegant, gold and diamond-encrusted pieces of art. In the watch market, it is possible to find a watch to suit all tastes and budgets, all you have to do is know where to look.
To help you on this journey of choosing a watch that suits you, we have created a list of the most popular watches (not including 'smartwatches') on the market. For a complete guide to smartwatches take a look at this guide.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about men's watches
It was during World War I, at the beginning of the 20th century when the wristwatch was born. This is an accessory that is now both fashionable and extremely useful. There are watches available to suit every kind of need and budget. All it takes is figuring out why you need a watch and what you are going to use it for. To help you in this quest, we answer the most frequently asked questions from consumers when it comes to watches in the following section.
Unlike bracelets, that are used to complement clothing or style, watches are highly practical accessories, which also say a lot about the personality of the person wearing one. Watches also have the ability to make you feel organized and can definitely help to ensure that you arrive on time for meetings or appointments.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a watch?
For an interview or a work meeting, a watch is an almost indispensable complement.
The biggest disadvantage and one of the only drawbacks is that a watch may be uncomfortable. This is usually the case if it is a very large or heavy watch. The other potential disadvantage is if the watch cannot withstand the water and needs to be removed every time you go swimming or jump in the shower. This is why it is important to find a model that suits your needs.
What information does a watch provide?
The dial or 'face' is one of the most visible parts of a watch and serves to show the hands of the watch. The hands of an analog watch are what indicate the hours, minutes, and seconds.
Analog or digital watch?
Analog watches are those that have a physical hand mechanism to display the time. They usually have two or three hands to tell you the time. The alternative style is digital, which displays the time information on a digital screen with numbers. It is usually possible to switch between 12-hour and 24-hour format on a digital watch.
What is the difference between a quartz watch and a mechanical watch?
Mechanical watches, on the other hand, are much more complicated than quartz watches, which is why they are preferred by watchmakers and watch enthusiasts. A mechanical watch has a machine made up of a mechanical unit and many small parts that work together to keep the time. The physical movement of these watches is often the mechanism used to keep them functioning by winding up their gears each time the watch is moved, such as when you walk.
Should I buy a mechanical or a quartz watch?
|Mechanical||They last a long time. They are very beautiful and do not pollute the environment, as they do not need batteries.||These watches are more sensitive to shocks and impacts. They can be less precise because if any part is moved or damaged, the time shown may be affected.|
|Quartz||Less likely to display errors than mechanical watches. They are usually cheaper||It may become damaged if you stop using it. If you stop using your watch for a period of time, it is recommended to remove the battery.|
What are the parts of a watch?
The spring is responsible for providing energy or 'power' to the watch, while the balance wheel is responsible for changing the rotation movement of the gears. The band or strap is used to comfortably attach the watch to your wrist.
Is a watch a good investment for the future?
It should also be noted that, although a good watch generally maintains its value over time much better than other assets, only special models increase in value over the years.
For the watch investment to work, it is necessary to have a solid knowledge of the watchmaking sector.
How do you care for a watch?
If you own a watch as part of a collection or only wear it on special occasions, you should store it in a dry, dark and temperature-controlled environment. Humidity can cause the gears to oxidize over time, and light can discolor the watch. In addition, the watch should be regularly serviced by a professional watchmaker.
Before deciding which watch to purchase, there are different aspects you should take into consideration in order to make a successful decision. Following our criteria will ensure that you assess the most important aspects of a watch and make a long-lasting decision. A watch, particularly a mechanical watch, can be a significant investment, so it is important to take your time and follow a structured buying process. We highly recommend that you closely look at the following criteria:
The crystal or glass is responsible for protecting and covering the face of the watch. It can be made of different materials, which will make it more or less resistant. The different types of materials each have different characteristics, details, and qualities that we have summarized in the following table.
|Material||Details and qualities|
|Plexiglass glass||Also defined as organic glass, acrylic or polycarbonate. It is a transparent plastic that is easy to mold and polish. It is also very strong.|
|Mineral crystal||Also known as ordinary glass. It has greater flexibility than other crystal used for wristwatches, which makes it stronger.|
|Hesalite||It is a synthetic crystal. Due to its strength, it is usually found in sports watches and stands out as it is very easy to remove any scratches from this material.|
|Sapphire or Diamond crystal||These are the two hardest crystal styles that exist. These materials are almost impossible to scratch.|
A watch strap can be of:
- Stainless steel: This stands out because contact with water does not damage the strap and this material does not produce any type of skin allergies.
- Titanium: This material is very resistant to blows and is lighter than stainless steel.
- Leather: This material gives an elegant look to watches. Unfortunately, this material is not suitable for water activities so it must be removed when swimming and showering.
- Silicone, rubber, resin or plastic: All of these materials are common straps for the watches used for sports since they better support scratches and impacts.
- Textile or nylon: Popular for young people as they are washable and come in many different colors.
Although many of the watches on the market claim to be water-resistant, not all are. Many have the ability to endure a shower but not submersion in the ocean or a swimming pool. If the watch has a water-resistant or waterproof label, it has been tested for water resistance.
There are several categories of water resistance (WR):
- WR 30 m / 3 atm: designed to withstand accidental splashes and sweat.
- WR 50 m / 5 atm: able to be worn in the shower but cannot be submerged to depths.
- WR 100 m / 10 atm: can be used for diving to shallow depths.
- WR 200 m / 20 atm: allows the watch to be used for scuba diving.
If a watch produces a negative reaction on your skin, it is necessary to go to the doctor to find out which element you are allergic to. If you have an allergy to metals, it is better to choose a leather or synthetic watch strap.
One of the most common allergies is to nickel, which results in itchy or red skin that appears when the skin touches a material that contains nickel. The visible reaction usually begins hours to days after the nickel exposure.
The watch market is enormous. A watch can be a small, simple device that is created in a very basic way and is very inexpensive but functional. Meanwhile, a watch can also be a complex, intricate machine that is very expensive and provides the owner with a sense of accomplishment. There are also specialty watches that can even be bought as an investment and be sold at higher prices over time.
A watch shows a man as an organized and punctual person. You can choose a different watch to wear depending on the time of day, the activity you are performing, your general style or the clothes you are going to wear. Sporty or classic, plain or extravagant. A watch can, whilst telling you the time, serve as an accessory to the identity of the person who wears it.
(Source of featured image: Samathong: 26991432/ 123rf.com)