The world of work today involves the handling, signing and delivery of paper and documents. Although this is not the ideal scenario, since we would prefer a more ecological way of doing things, paper is part of our lives. Many times, we deal with confidential information or sensitive data, and there comes a point where we need to maintain privacy. What can we do?
Fortunately, today almost all companies and offices have paper shredders that save us the worry of leaving documents out in plain view that have a high degree of privacy. Do you already know all about paper shredders? If not, don't worry. The guide you are about to read will teach you everything you need to know about these useful office machines.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection of the Best Paper Shredders
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Paper Shredders
- 4.1 What exactly are paper shredders?
- 4.2 How do paper shredders work?
- 4.3 Do paper shredders need some kind of installation or configuration?
- 4.4 What kinds of cuts do paper shredders make?
- 4.5 Can I put things other than paper into a paper shredder?
- 4.6 What is the reverse function of a paper shredder?
- 4.7 How do you measure the level of confidentiality offered by paper shredders?
- 4.8 What safety measures do paper shredders offer regarding their use?
- 4.9 Do all paper shredders have wheels?
- 4.10 Do paper shredders contribute to taking care of the environment?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Paper shredders help us get rid of papers, documents and all kinds of written material that either accumulate as surplus in offices, or are confidential information that we do not want to share.
- While paper shredders were originally strictly mechanical tools, newer models are almost all electric. Therefore, you will need a power supply to make them work.
- Various paper shredders differ in their shredding speed, sheet capacity, and amount of waste that the bag can hold as well as many other functions and features. Therefore, it is important to be clear about your specific needs.
Our Selection of the Best Paper Shredders
In most offices there is usually an unwritten rule: any document from the printer that is no longer necessary and contains a signature, account numbers or sensitive external customer data, must be shredded. Paper shredders come to our aid so that this task is not tedious and time-consuming. If you are thinking about which model paper shredder to buy, we recommend this compilation that brings together the best in the market today.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Paper Shredders
Paper shredders are those typical office supplies that, when we acquire them, we cannot believe how we ever lived without them. They help us to become more organized and provide us with security regarding documents or data in danger of being exposed. If you want to know more about paper shredders, keep reading this section, which covers the most common questions among potential users.
What exactly are paper shredders?
How do paper shredders work?
Do paper shredders need some kind of installation or configuration?
What kinds of cuts do paper shredders make?
|Straight-cut Shredders||Cross Cut Shredders||Micro-cut Shredders||Cryptographic cutting shredders|
|Shred the paper into long strips.
They are ideal for basic and occasional shredding.
They generate wide strips of paper.
| Shred the paper into cross- cut pieces.
They are safer than straight cut shredders.
They are faster than micro-cuts.
| They offer the highest level of security.
They shred the paper into pieces the size of confetti, that is, very tiny.
| Reduce paper to the smallest particles.
Usually the kind used by governments and military operations.
Can I put things other than paper into a paper shredder?
What is the reverse function of a paper shredder?
How do you measure the level of confidentiality offered by paper shredders?
Paper shredders have a classification by levels, ranging from P-1 to P-7. This classification indicates the size of the pieces, in the case of particle cutting, and the width of the strips, for strip-shaped cutting.
What safety measures do paper shredders offer regarding their use?
- It should have a reverse function to avoid paper jams.
- The trash can (the waste container) should have a safety lid that stops the shredding action if it is full.
- The shredder should stop automatically every time it becomes too hot.
The safest ones also have access codes to access the wastebasket, keeping the pieces away from the wrong people.
Do all paper shredders have wheels?
Do paper shredders contribute to taking care of the environment?
A paper shredder can become your ally in a work environment or in your home. To choose the right model, it is important to know exactly what your objectives are and the volume of paper you will shred each day. In this section, we will summarize the fundamental purchase criteria that you must take into account.
Like all electrical appliances, the first thing is to make sure of is that your paper shredder is safe. This involves some features such as locking systems, reverse function and protection against overheating. These are features that can prevent accidents in our work and home environments.
If the main objective of a paper shredder is to protect the confidentiality of information, you must make sure that it is truly protected. Depending on the degree of security and privacy that you need, you will need a different types of cut made by the device, how many pieces the sheet shreds into and if it has, for example, an access code/lock for the wastebasket section.
Size and portability
Paper shredders designs are varied according to their daily document management capacity. The idea is that it works as an accessory and, as such, goes as unnoticed as possible. Therefore, it is advisable to look for low-profile models, which do not take up much space and, whenever possible, models with wheels to facilitate mobility.
Whether we use paper shredders in our homes or at work, it is essential that they do not disturb our work environment. Noisy shredders can distracts us from important work. Therefore, it is worth looking for models that have a "silent mode." Over time, it is a feature you will appreciate.
Paper shredders do not all have the same capacity for shredding documents. As this is its main function, it is recommended that you think very carefully about the volume of paper shredding you will need to do so that you can always complete your work. There are models whose active periods are very short, which can slow down work processes, and create risky situations.
As we have explained, many paper shredders can shred other materials besides paper. Since we usually have all kinds of waste in our offices or homes, it is better to look for a versatile model, capable of helping us get rid of everything we need to: for example, credit cards, CDs or DVDs, cardboard sheets and folder, among other materials.
Paper shredders are tools that are used mainly to shred sheets of paper, although they are also suitable for shredding other materials, in order to eliminate excess waste and, more importantly, to protect the confidentiality and privacy of sensitive data. They are mostly electrical devices, so they need a power supply.
Paper shredders can make different types of cuts, they have different shredding capacities and have different levels of security depending on the degree of confidentiality of the documents intended to be destroyed.
If you enjoyed the article, please share it among your family and friends and leave us a comment below! Thank you!
(Source of Featured Image: Jelena Ivanovic: 26811401/ 123rf.com)