A pendant luminaire can be an ornament above the dining room table. Pendant lights can therefore serve as a decorative piece, but also provide a good source of light for different rooms. They come in many different versions and sizes.
The ideal pendant luminaire can be found for every household and furnishing style. With our pendant luminaire test 2021, we want to help you find the ideal pendant luminaire for you. We have compared ball pendant luminaires and rod pendant luminaires with each other and listed the respective advantages and disadvantages. This should support you in your purchase decision.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Pendant Light: Our Choices
- 4 Pendant light: buying and evaluation criteria
- 5 Pendant light: Frequently asked questions and answers
- 6 Conclusion
- The way pendant luminaires are used can vary. Basically, you mount a pendant luminaire as a light source for a certain area in the room. In addition to providing light, these types of lamps can also hang well as a decorative piece in the living area.
- Pendant lamps are available as ball pendant lamps, rod pendant lamps or also as pendant lamps in vintage style. Therefore, there is something for every taste and a suitable pendant luminaire can be found for every furnishing style.
- With the adjustable height of the pendant light, it can be mounted in practically every household. Whether a high or low ceiling, the ideal size can be adjusted. Moreover, it is easily adaptable to the pieces of furniture in the living area.
The Best Pendant Light: Our Choices
Pendant luminaires come in a wide variety of editions. However, not all pendant luminaires are equally convincing in terms of quality and application.
Pendant light: buying and evaluation criteria
In this section, we show you which criteria you can use to compare and evaluate the different pendant lights. This will make it easier for you to get an overview and to decide which pendant light is ideal for you. The criteria that will help you to compare the different pendant lights are as follows:
A very relevant point for all lamps is probably the type of lighting. You can choose between different types. In a short list, we explain the most important points regarding lighting:
- Dimming: For many, the colour temperature is very important. Some like a warmer colour, others prefer a colder one. With dimming, it is possible to adjust from a cold colour tone to a neutral and finally to a warm colour tone. The reverse is also possible, of course. So if you don't want exactly one colour temperature, look for a built-in dimmable function. In addition, you need to look at the Kelvin specification of the lamps. This indicates the colour tone of a lamp.
- LED lamps: Which bulb you use and how the energy supply is also plays a role. LED bulbs are designed to consume less energy and are thus better for pendant lighting. LED bulbs are generally very popular.
- Halogen lamps: Halogen lamps have the advantage that they emit very natural but bright light. This is very advantageous in the kitchen area, for example. However, they have a high energy consumption.
- Energy-saving lamps: As the name suggests, energy-saving lamps consume little energy. The disadvantage here, however, is that not all energy-saving lamps are dimmable.
When buying a pendant lamp, it is therefore important that you pay attention to which illuminants you can use. The description of the pendant luminaire usually states which light sources are suitable. You can then decide whether it meets your expectations.
The dimming function can transform a rather cold room into a warm atmosphere and vice versa.
The size of the pendant luminaire also plays a role. It all depends on where you want to mount the pendant luminaire and what type of pendant luminaire you choose. With rod pendant luminaires, you have a certain length to orientate yourself by. With spherical pendant luminaires, you can combine them as you wish, as they are usually manufactured individually. Size also includes the height of the pendant luminaire.
In most cases, the height can be adjusted up to about 1.5 metres. So you have the possibility to choose your desired height. However, there are also pendant luminaires that are not adjustable. In this case, you need to be aware of whether the pendant luminaire will fit in your desired place or not. It is best to measure the place where you want to hang it before you buy it.
You can also choose the material of the pendant luminaire to match the style of your interior. Most pendant lamps are made of metal or a combination of metal. Of course, there is no limit to the choice of colours. With metal pendant lights, cleaning is very easy. If there is dust, you can simply take a damp cloth and wipe over it once.
Besides pendant lamps made of metal, you also have those made of wood. These are very special because no two are alike. This is because not every piece of wood looks like another. The disadvantage of wood is that dust is less easy to wipe off with a cloth. Rod pendant luminaires with light shades can also be combined.
They can be made of metal at the base, for example, and have the light shades made of glass or another material. As you can see, there are many different variations and possibilities.
Not every pendant lamp has the same features. The most important feature of a pendant lamp is probably the adjustable height. If the pendant light can be adjusted as desired, then it scores well. In addition to the height, the light source is also relevant. This includes how much light the luminaire emits and what kind of light it emits. It is best to pay attention to whether the light can be emitted directly or whether it is surrounded by material.
The type of lighting also includes dimming. The easiest way to control dimming is with a remote control. This gives you the most flexibility. There are also some pendant lights that can be connected to the smart home and then controlled via the app.
Pendant light: Frequently asked questions and answers
In the following, we would like to answer the most important questions about pendant lamps. We have selected the questions for you and answered them in a short form. After you have studied this section a little, you will know all the essential background information about pendant lights.
What is a pendant light?
Depending on the part of the house where the pendant light is mounted and the furniture around it, the height of the pendant light can vary. Adjusting the height of the lights thus gives them a unique feature. Pendant lights come in many different types. There are pendant luminaires that have a dusty design.
Most of them also have small lampshades that are attached to the rod. There are also pendant lamps that are bought as several individual pieces. In addition to these two types, there are also pendant lamps that are neither rod-shaped nor spherical. These then have special shapes and are mainly designed in special styles, such as vintage style.
What types of pendant luminaires are there?
|Rod pendant luminaire||As the name of the pendant luminaire suggests, it is rod-shaped. In some cases, the rod pendant luminaires have additional light shades hanging||adjustable height, one-piece||not suitable for small rooms|
|Spherical pendant luminaire||The spherical pendant luminaires are available as individual pieces and can then be combined as desired. They can come in different shapes||can be combined with other pendant lights, can be mounted in many places||a bit monotonous on their own|
|Vintage pendant light||The vintage pendant lights neither. They usually have a very special shape and convince with their cool style||very individual pendant luminaires, freshen up the furnishings||not suitable for everyone because of their special style, are more often used as decoration|
By classifying the types, you can better decide which type now fits into your household and what purpose the pendant luminaire should fulfil. Depending on where they are installed, one type is more suitable than another and looks better.
Where are pendant luminaires mounted?
- Living room area: A pendant luminaire in the living room can be a great eye-catcher. The pendant luminaire can be adapted to the living room style or break ranks with a totally new style. Whether above the coffee table or in the middle of the room, the pendant luminaire is a good source of light and a great decorative piece. In many cases, a vintage pendant luminaire or a spherical pendant luminaire is installed for the living room area.
- Dining area: Above the dining table, the pendant luminaire serves its purpose. Usually, the rod pendant luminaire is mounted in the dining area. However, it is important to make sure that it does not hang too low. Otherwise it can be a nuisance when sitting together at the dining table.
- Bedroom: The pendant luminaire is also a great must-have in the bedroom. In many cases, ball pendant lamps are used for this purpose. Very famous are those which are decorated with many feathers. It gives the bedroom a stylish image and a pleasant atmosphere.
As you can see, you can mount a pendant luminaire practically anywhere in the house or flat. Actually, this is entirely up to you. The only thing to note is that the height of the pendant luminaire does not interfere with everyday life. Otherwise, nothing else stands in the way.
What does a pendant light cost?
- Rod pendant lamps: range in price from about 50 € to 250 €
- Ball pendant lamps: Are in a price range between approx. 50 € and 400 €
- Vintage pendant lights: Are in a price range between 30 € and 500 €
As you can see, the prices are given very differently. For each type of pendant light, there are cheaper and more expensive versions. It all depends on how exclusively it is decorated and what material is used.
Where can I buy a pendant light?
For made-to-measure products, it is recommended to buy directly in the shop so that you can really buy the right one.
What alternatives are there to a pendant light?
|Ceiling lamp||The ceiling lamp is probably the best alternative to a pendant lamp. The only difference is that the ceiling lamp does not hang down, but is permanently mounted on the ceiling. The light output can be exactly the same as with pendant lamps.|
|Chandelier||A somewhat decorative alternative is the chandelier. It is very similar to the pendant luminaire, but does not have the feature of adjustable height and is somewhat more ostentatious, as the case may be.|
Whether you choose hanging and adjustable, hanging only or ceiling-mounted lighting depends entirely on your preferences. It is best to adapt the lighting to your style of living.
At what height should a pendant luminaire hang?
This can differ from model to model and is a decisive point for the height of the pendant lamp. Of course, it also depends on the atmosphere you want to achieve in the area of your pendant luminaire. If you want to create a cosy atmosphere, then a lower hanging pendant light is ideal for this. Each pendant luminaire can be shortened differently.
The type of shortening also depends on each model individually. In many cases, the heights can be adjusted up to 1.5 metres. However, there are also some pendant lights that are not adjustable. These are the ones that hang from one base and are combined with several others.
All in all, it can be said that pendant lights can be a real jewel in the home. There are different types of pendant lamps that can also be made of different materials. They can serve as a light source or simply as a decorative piece.
The ideal pendant light can be found for every style. From classic to modern to vintage, there is everything possible. The advantage of pendant lights is the adjustable height, which can be adapted to the rooms. This makes it easy to change the atmosphere of the room.
Photo source: SUNTIVIRIYANON / 123rf