As your best friend, your dog deserves the best care. Dog salmon oil is the perfect way to keep your dog in good health. The best salmon oil for dogs products can provide your pet with lots of great benefits. For example, they can improve their skin and coat, as well as enhance the development of cognitive faculties, which is ideal for puppies and also the fetuses of pregnant dogs.
Due to the wide-range of products available on the market from different manufacturers, finding the best dog salmon oil can be a little tricky. It is important to remember that not all products are the same. Some even make unsubstantiated claims that they never achieve. So that you do not end up with an ineffective product, we have prepared this guide to make sure you get the best possible benefit for your dog.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection of the Best Salmon Oils
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Salmon Oil for Dogs
- 4.1 What is salmon oil for dogs?
- 4.2 Why is it important to give your pet salmon oil for dogs?
- 4.3 What are the advantages of salmon oil for dogs?
- 4.4 What support do each of the fatty acids found in salmon oil for dogs provide?
- 4.5 What are the key aspects to determine the quality of a salmon oil for dogs product?
- 5 Buyer's Guide
- 6 Summary
- Salmon oil for dogs is a fantastic source of Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids that help your dog maintain a soft and shiny coat, as well as strengthen their immune system and improve their mood. They also help to treat allergies, and keep cholesterol levels within a healthy range.
- The correct dose for your furry friend will depend on their size and age. Products usually indicate exactly how much you should be giving your dog based on their individual characteristics. If this is not the case, it is advisable to consult your veterinarian before beginning this type of supplementation.
- When looking for the best salmon oil for dogs product on the market, you need to consider the container. A glass dispenser will isolate the liquid from air currents, preventing oxidization. Plastic is also fine, but only if it is not transparent, as light degrades the fatty acids present in the oil.
Our Selection of the Best Salmon Oils
Finding the best dog salmon oil product is not an easy task. But don't panic, we are here to help! There are several different factors you need to take into account, as well as knowing about the product in depth. Before we get into more detail, we have prepared a list of the best salmon oil for dogs products available:
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Salmon Oil for Dogs
The addition of salmon oil in your dog's diet gives lots of great benefits, so as a dog owner it is only natural that your are considering purchasing one of these products. In order to find the best supplement for your dog, there are some important factors that you need to take into consideration. To help make your selection process easier, in this section we answer the most frequently asked questions about salmon oil for dogs.
What is salmon oil for dogs?
Although salmon oil is not strictly speaking a necessary part of a dog's diet, it offers a wide range of advantages. Just as humans take food supplements to feel healthier, the best salmon oil for dogs products provide the same effect for our furry friends.
Why is it important to give your pet salmon oil for dogs?
Typically, more than 30% of Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids cannot be produced by the body on its own, although Omega 9 can be. There is no better supplement on the market to make sure that your best friend gets the necessary amount of these important nutrients.
What are the advantages of salmon oil for dogs?
Advantages of salmon oil for dogs:
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. Salmon oil helps to combat arthritis and intestinal inflammation in dogs.
- It is the ideal product to treat dermal or gastric allergies. It helps cats to eliminate hairballs.
- Improves the health of your dog's coat and skin. It makes your dog's coat softer, shinier and stronger.
- Improves general health. It is perfect for controlling your dog's weight, and maintaining lower blood pressure.
- Helps to lower the level of triglycerides. More commonly known as cholesterol.
- Boosts the immune system. Also improves cardiovascular health.
- Improves cognitive development. When administered to pregnant dogs, it improves cognitive development in fetuses and helps them to develop healthier eyes.
- Increased energy. Improves the mood of older dogs.
- Improves the renal system.
Disadvantages of salmon oil for dogs:
- Can sometimes cause unwanted side effects. These can include dizziness, nausea or stomach pain (however this is most commonly cause by an incorrect dose).
- Some dogs may have, or develop an allergy to this type of product, although this is extremely rare.
What support do each of the fatty acids found in salmon oil for dogs provide?
- Omega 3: This fatty acid is vital for reducing cytokines, which will improve your dog's ability to process insulin. It is also very useful for reducing excessive blood coagulation, and for regulating the production of prostaglandins.
- Omega 6: Its main benefits are to help your dog to regulate their metabolism, as well as to improve its immune response and maintain a healthy weight. Just like Omega 3, it also improves coagulation.
- Omega 9: As with Omega 6, it will improve your dog's immune response. It also reduces the levels of bad cholesterol, while increases those of healthy cholesterol. It is great for older dogs, as it improves articular health.
The consumption of salmon oil can be very beneficial for more elderly dogs that have nutritional deficiencies. Salmon oil will help to improve the overall health of their joints. Additionally, it will help to elevate their mood. It is also a great source of energy, that often makes more senior dogs much more active.
What are the key aspects to determine the quality of a salmon oil for dogs product?
|Source:|| The colder the salmon, the better as more nutrients are conserved.
Regions such as Alaska, Norway and Scotland are the best.
If the salmon is sourced from fish farms or from warmer regions, it is not as good an option.
|Amount of time between catching the salmon and processing:||It is important that the amount of time between catching the salmon and processing is not more than 6-8 hours.|
|Type of processing:|| First press: Done while the fish is cold and provides the best quality oil. With this type of processing, a natural, pure and pleasantly flavored salmon oil for dogs is produced. It also is the method that extracts more minerals and Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids.
Refined: During this type of processing, the product is subjected to chemical and physical treatments that adversely impact the properties of the nutrients. Being a type of industrial processing, it usually means cheaper price.
|Sustainability:||If you care about your dog, you probably care about all animals and the environment they live in. So make sure you look for products that are produced using sustainable fishing practices.|
It's always a good idea to know as much as possible about a new type of product you are planning on buying. Otherwise, you can easily make a mistake if you don't know what to look for. To help you find the product that is best for you, just keep the following criteria in mind when making your purchase, and you can't go wrong.
Natural or Synthetic
Although the super-low price may be tempting, you really should avoid salmon oil for dogs products that are formulated with synthetic components. These cheaper options are more likely to cause an allergic reaction in pets. Some studies are beginning to research a potential link between an increased occurrence of cancer and the consumption of synthetic ingredients. A 100% natural product is definitely the best option.
Quantity of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Any type of fish oil contains at least 30% of Omega 3, making this a fairly unimportant factor. However, you should definitely make sure that the product you are buying contains large amounts of EPA and DHA. These types of Omega 3 fatty acids will provide the most benefits to your dog (and they cannot be produced naturally in the body). So make sure you check the label carefully.
You may think that the odor is not an important factor to consider, but this is definitely not the case. It is vital that the product has a smell that your dog finds pleasant. Basically, you should avoid any product that has a very strong odor, as it is most likely a sign that the fatty acids are oxidized.
With each passing year, there are more and more products coming out on the market that can improve the health of our pets. Every responsible owner wants their dog to be in the best possible health and developing optimally. One of the most beneficial supplements for dogs is salmon oil, which is the best source of Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids.
This product will help your dog maintain a soft, strong and shiny coat. It will also enhance the cognitive and immune development of the fetuses of pregnant dogs and also puppies. It is also a fantastic option for more senior dogs, as it helps in maintaining joint health, and is a potent source of energy, while also keeping bad cholesterol at bay.
We hope we have helped you learn more about this fantastic supplement for dogs. If you liked this article, please leave us a comment and be sure to share it with your family and friends!
(Featured Image Source: Tatiana Gladskikh: 55209093/ 123rf.com)