In today's world, people are becoming more and more aware of fashion. Fashion is advertised on many platforms and men also have the opportunity to inform themselves about fashion in various men's magazines. Socks are also finding their way more and more into the fashion world. With colourful and creative motifs and patterns, socks have become a useful accessory. But plain and single-coloured socks are also popular and are finding their place in the fashion world.
Are you wondering which socks are best to buy and which socks go with which outfit? Then you have come to the right place. In our buying guide for men's socks, we advise you and provide you with tips and tricks on the subject of men's socks. We hope you enjoy reading.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 The Best Best Mens Socks: Our Picks
- 3 Buying criteria: What to look for when buying socks for men
- 4 Socks for men: The most important questions answered
- 5 Styling tips for men's socks: What to consider when wearing socks
- 6 Conclusion
The Best Best Mens Socks: Our Picks
Buying criteria: What to look for when buying socks for men
Which socks you buy can depend on a few factors. While socks may seem rather unassuming at first glance, they can still be a useful accessory and stand out and catch the eye in the right combination.
In this section, we want to show you what to look for when buying men's socks and have compiled some criteria for you. These are the following buying criteria:
Now we would like to explain the various buying criteria to you once again and explain one or two new features.
Already in their length, men's socks can be very different. There are short, long and knee-length socks. You can wear different lengths depending on your outfit. You can let your creativity run free and wear long socks with short or long trousers, or consider the reverse.
Your socks look particularly good when they are visible. So you can either wear plain-looking and monotonous socks or creative and motif-rich socks.
Knee socks are used rather less for men, but also find their justification in some areas. You can find more information on this under "Function/Application".
The material can also be a deciding factor when buying - this is usually also related to the outside temperature or the respective season. The most common materials are cotton, polyester or a mixture of the two.
But wool socks are also very popular, especially in the winter months. Here you have it in your own hands how you want to design your socks and can get creative.
The pattern can also be a decisive factor when buying a pair of men's socks. There are now many different motifs, colours and patterns that can decorate men's socks.
For example, there are men's socks that you can buy in a dark blue, black or white to combine with a classic look. But there are also pairs of socks with patterns like dots and symbols or motifs for example food or superheroes.
Probably the most important buying criterion is the function or occasion. Because this is where all the other buying criteria can come together. How long, thin or colourful your socks should be can often depend on what you want to do. Whether you're exercising, meeting friends or going to work, socks can make or break your outfit in any occasion.
Knee-high socks can also come into play here, whether they are worn for sporting events or dressing up. They can be made of different materials and especially in the area of disguise, knee socks can score points with fancy motifs or patterns.
Socks for men: The most important questions answered
In this section, we would like to briefly answer the most important questions that may arise around the topic of men's socks. After reading this part, you should have acquired a solid basic knowledge of which types of men's socks you can wear with which outfits or how to find the right socks for men.
What types of men's socks are there?
There are many different types of men's socks. The occasion for which you want to wear men's socks or the weather conditions, i.e. how warm or cold it is outside, will determine which type you should wear:
- Breathable socks: Especially when hiking, it is better to wear breathable socks made of robust material. This can help you to sweat less despite physically strenuous movement. In addition, some socks have reinforcements in the ankle area to support the ankle while walking.
- Short socks: In summer, it is an advantage to wear short socks made of light material. This can make your feet feel more comfortable in the shoe. With short socks, the top of the socks closes with the shoes and you feel less "packed in".
- Long socks: Especially in winter, socks made of thicker material are ideal for protecting your ankles from cold wind. If you tend to wear darker clothes in winter, bright or coloured socks can stand out and catch the eye.
- Self-knit socks: These socks are perfect for keeping your feet warm indoors. Of course, thick socks can also be worn inside your shoes to keep you warm on longer outings. Plus, you can get creative and create your own style.
- Non-slip socks: This type of sock has a rubber coating on the bottom of the sock and prevents you from slipping on slippery wooden floors. This type of sock is mainly to be used at home.
- Sporting activities: Are you particularly active in sports? Then long knee socks can, for example, help to attach shin guards. Socks can also be made of breathable material for sporting activities. In the field of winter sports, there are specially made socks for men that fit the foot comfortably.
How can I find the right socks for men?
Finding the right pair of socks depends on your own preferences. At the same time, you should also pay attention to when you wear the pair. In addition, it is the combination with other items of clothing, especially trousers and shoes, that is important when choosing socks for men
In some online shops, you have the opportunity to see the men's socks on models. They usually also wear a matching outfit. This way you can get inspired and collect ideas.
Can I have my own pattern printed on my men's socks?
If you can't find suitable designs in the usual online shops, you have the option of having your own photos or designs printed on pairs of socks. The following platforms offer this option:
With this alternative to men's socks, you not only have an idea for yourself to spice up your own sock collection, but you can give a gift to people around you.
How can I clean socks for men?
Most socks can be washed in a conventional washing machine between 40 and 60 degrees. Depending on the material, you should pay attention to this. For some socks, you can rely on the manufacturer's statement.
White socks in particular can get dirty quickly. Here it can help you if you soak the socks beforehand and then wash them separately from other laundry items. This will prevent the socks from staining other items.
How do I find the right size for men's socks?
Since it can be difficult to try on socks in the shop or even when shopping online, you can confidently rely on your shoe size.
Most sock sizes are indicated in "from-to", for example size 43 to 46. If you have special questions about oversizes, for example, you can also contact the manufacturer or a salesperson.
Styling tips for men's socks: What to consider when wearing socks
In this section we have put together a few more styling tips for you. This will give you an overview of the many uses of socks for men.
- You can make sure that the colour of the pair of socks matches the rest of your outfit.
Do you have a uniform colour outfit? Pimp it up with an eye-catching pair of socks.
- If you wear flat shoes, such as trainers or sneakers, your socks will be easier to see.
- Choose your men's socks based on what activity you're heading out to.
Eye-catching socks can go just as well with a suit as with a sporty outfit.
- For everyday wear, you can turn your jeans or trousers upside down one to three times to show off the socks.
- In summer, with shorts, you can..
- ...either wear short socks that finish at the top of your shoes,
- ...or wear long socks so that the pattern catches everyone's eye.
- In winter, you can combine your woollen jumper with knitted socks.
If you let yourself be inspired by these points, you will have many different outfit options that can add variety to your everyday life. Have fun trying them out.
The fact that in today's world socks for men are considered an important fashion accessory is testified to by the many different offers you can find in a shopping centre or online shop. No matter whether in the field of music, film or in the world of plants and animals. Meanwhile, bright and colourful socks are not only popular with young people. Nevertheless, plain but well-made men's socks also enjoy great popularity.
No matter what occasion you want to wear your men's socks for, fancy and creative men's socks can go down well and be an eye-catcher. Well-chosen men's socks can combine style and comfort.
Image source: unsplash.com / Dimitri Houtteman