Everyone washes their hands, at many points during the day. Washing your hands is an essential part of life, since hygiene is of the utmost importance in all parts of life. If you're not clean and hygienic, then you could catch diseases or get ill. Good hygiene habits come down to the little things, like washing your hands after touching dirty things, pets, money, door handles, coming home, before tending to a wound or an injury, and after going to the toilet.
Do you find yourself trying to clutch the soap bar by your bathroom sink with wet hands and it slipping out of your grasp and falling onto the floor? Or maybe you're desperately trying to get the last bit of soap at the end of the bar without it breaking? Well, a soap dispenser is for you. Read this ultimate guide so you can choose the best one for you. Let’s get started then!
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 First things first
- 3 The best soap dispensers in the UK
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about soap dispensers
- 4.1 What is a soap dispenser and how does it work?
- 4.2 Should I get an automatic soap dispenser?
- 4.3 When is it better to buy an automatic soap dispenser?
- 4.4 What types of soap dispensers can you get?
- 4.5 How do soap dispensers work?
- 4.6 What are some of the pros of using soap dispensers overusing a soap bar?
- 4.7 Is it better to use liquid soap or a bar of soap?
- 4.8 What types of soap are available?
- 4.9 What can soap be used for?
- 4.10 What are the pros of soap dispensers?
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
First things first
- A soap dispenser is wonderfully handy, and there are lots of types. Some are even automatic so you don't have to touch them at all!
- There are many different types of soap dispensers available. They are all essentially the same, but there are some important differences between the different models, such as being automatic.
- Researching the features of each soap dispenser will help you choose the best one for you. But don't worry, we've got you covered with this guide.
- It's not difficult to use a soap dispenser, you simply add the soap then push the button or put your hand underneath when and the soap will come out.
The best soap dispensers in the UK
We’ve had a look at the soap dispensers on the market, analysed prices and customer reviews, and come up with this comprehensive list of the best in the UK. You can see each of our favourite soap dispensers in this selection below, alongside a little description of each product. We’re certain that by the end of this ranking and this guide, you will have chosen the perfect soap dispenser for you!
Shopping Guide: Everything you need to know about soap dispensers
You've seen the best soap dispensers on the market, now, it's time for the buying part. We've put together this fab list of things we recommend that you think about before making your purchase. We've also got the most frequently asked questions and we've answered them, so by the end of this section, any remaining doubts will be dispelled and any remaining questions will be answered. Perfect! Let's dive right in.
What is a soap dispenser and how does it work?
Refilling a soap dispenser is very easy. You simply open it, which in some models will need a key, and pour the liquid soap inside. You just need to remember to be careful as to not spill the soap when refilling it.
Should I get an automatic soap dispenser?
An example of how traditional, manual soap dispensers may be better is because you have to always make sure that the batteries in the automatic soap dispensers don't run out. Also, if you have kids, they may want to play with the dispenser, which would lead to a lot of waster soap. Apart from these concerns, however, automatic soap dispensers are more convenient, hygienic and more practical.
When is it better to buy an automatic soap dispenser?
If you are looking for a soap dispenser for your workplace, always go for an automatic one so that you don't have to worry about lots of people touching it.
What types of soap dispensers can you get?
|Type of soap dispenser||Uses|
|Countertop||The most common. Very simple to use. Pop it on your bathroom sink.|
|Wall||Placed on the wall in the bathroom. Typically found in public spaces.|
|Automatic||Works by sensing your hand when it is placed under the dispenser, and then it dispenses the soap automatically.|
How do soap dispensers work?
- Pump: You push on the top in order to dispense the soap. This is the kind most commonly used in homes.
- Automatic: These have a sensor that dispenses the liquid soap when you put your hands underneath it.
What are some of the pros of using soap dispensers overusing a soap bar?
- Capacity: Many models have a large capacity, which is very convenient as you don't have to refill it very often.
- Cleanliness: A soap dispenser doesn't leave soap scum, unlike a soap bar, which can become a bit slimy.
- Easy to refill: It's very simple to refill any type of soap dispenser.
- Versatility: You can use a variety of liquid soaps with a soap dispenser. Who knows, you could even pop one on the wall in the shower with your shampoo in it!
- Savings: With a soap dispenser you can use just the right amount of liquid soap that you need. This helps to avoid washing money down the drain!
Is it better to use liquid soap or a bar of soap?
A bar of soap can accumulate not only dirt from other people, but also certain germs. In addition, once they are used several times the bars start to have an unsightly shape.
What types of soap are available?
|Types of soap||Properties|
|Coconut||Has very hydrating properties and doesn't make the skin greasy. Can also exfoliate.|
|Green Tea||Antibacterial and scar-erasing properties. It is also very relaxing.|
|Oats||Perfect for sensitive skin, helps to calm irritation. Also acts as an exfoliant.|
|Teatree oil||Has strong antibacterial properties, helps to rejuvenate elasticity in the skin and encourages smoothness.|
|Olive||Strong moisturising properties and cares for sensitive skin.|
What can soap be used for?
|Therapeutical||Are prescribed by a doctor to treat different skin conditions.|
|Liquid||Used to easily clean the skin. Commonly used at home or in businesses.|
|Dermatological||This soap is very soft and helps to take care of the skin, especially sensitive or atopic skin.|
|Aromatic||Scented with floral or fruity smells.|
|Glycerin||Can dry out the skin, so is perfect for people with oily skin.|
|Softening||Designed for people with dry or sensitive skin.|
What are the pros of soap dispensers?
By now you no doubt have a very clear idea of what you can expect from your soap dispenser. But it does not hurt to review certain aspects that you should keep in mind when making your purchase. Take note of all of the following:
- What size do I want?
- Do I want an automatic, countertop or wall soap dispenser?
- Which dispensing mechanism do I want?
- What material do I want?
- Is it easy to assemble and disassemble it?
What size do I want?
When buying a soap dispenser you should definitely check its measurements to make sure that you have enough space for it. You should also check how big the tank is. Obviously, the larger it is, the more you can put inside it each time, but more than likely larger soap dispensers will be more expensive than smaller ones.
Do I want an automatic, countertop or wall soap dispenser?
There are three main types of soap dishes: countertop, wall and automatic. The countertop and wall are similar, the difference being where you put them. And as you know, automatic dispensers dispense soap without having to touch the button. As previously mentioned, they are the most hygienic and convenient. Choose the one that best suits your needs.
Which dispensing mechanism do I want?
Automatic dispensers are recommended in public places because they're more hygienic than manual dispensers, but you can still put them in your home since it's good that you'll never have to touch the dispenser with dirty hands since the motion sensor detects your hands. However, pump soap dispensers are cheaper.
What material do I want?
Most soap dispensers you find in the market are made of plastic, steel or chrome. The former can withstand dirt very well, so they are ideal if they are going to be used a lot. Steel or chrome models are resistant and durable and tend to be more elegant. They are, however, harder to clean, so bear that in mind.
Is it easy to assemble and disassemble it?
If you want a soap dispenser that you put on the wall, make sure that it's easy to assemble and mount. Usually, a product will contain all the pieces that you need, but check the box or the product description to make sure you don't need anything extra. Also, check that your home or office is suitable for wall dispensers since sometimes you're not allowed to add things to walls or make holes in walls in rented accommodation, for example.
So, now you know all there is to know about soap dispensers and we're sure that you've been convinced to buy one for yourself. It's obvious that they're better than soap bars. Besides, nowadays, you pretty much never see a bar of soap in an office or a café. Automatic soap dispensers are, no doubt, the best. This is because they're more hygienic and you know that no dirty hands have touched them.
If you liked our guide, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below and let us know what your favourite soap dispenser is, or tell us what your favourite scent of soap is. You can also share this on your social media so everyone you know has the cleanest hands!
(Source of the featured image: Alexandr Bognat: 99607140/ 123rf.com)