A good toolbox can easily become your best coworker, especially if you’re looking to add more organization into your life. Having the proper toolbox will help you keep all sorts of things tidy and accessible, there is truly nothing like having one, or a few toolboxes. A toolbox is useful in any trade workshop, at home and even in the trunk of your car.
You’ll be able to find simple and small toolboxes, as well as some very sophisticated and large designs. Either way, they are all useful resources for storing, organizing and transporting all sorts of tools and gadgets such as nails, screws and any other accessory. If you know what you want, there is no doubt you’ll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection: The Best Toolboxes
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Toolboxes
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- The weight and size of a toolbox will be the first aspects to consider, especially if you want it to be portable. Keep in mind, however, that the size will also influence what types of tools and how much you can fit in them.
- In the market today, there are many types and configurations of toolboxes, usually categorized by their manufacturing materials and the type of organizational components they use.
- Some brands include a selection of tools within the toolbox, this is a great option if it’s your first toolbox and you need the tools as well. Just make sure that the tools inside the toolbox are of good quality.
Our Selection: The Best Toolboxes
If you’re looking to organize tools at home or in a workshop, there is nothing better than a proper toolbox. You will find that the market offers many different types and brands of toolboxes. They can vary in shape, materials, internal components and distribution. To help you in the selection process, we have researched and chosen the top toolboxes on the market.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Toolboxes
What are toolboxes made out of?
|Wood|| Barely used anymore.
They allow handcrafted and decorative designs.
Used only by craftsmen and watchmakers.
It may or may not have a lid.
|Metal|| Generally made of steel.
Ideal for stationary use (not moving around)
Great variety of sizes and models.
Solid and resistant, however, they can rust.
They may have sharp edges.
|Plastic and/or composites|| Less resistant than metal or wood.
Wide range of sizes and models.
Washable for easy cleaning.
They're light and easy to transport.
They can handle less weight than metal and wood.
|Leather||Available as suitcases or tool cases.||
Easy to transport.
|Textiles|| Available as tool bags or backpacks.
Built with canvas or resistant fabrics.
Resistant to water and humidity.
Easy to transport.
Some models have a shoulder strap that allows you to keep your hands free.
What types of toolboxes are there?
To give you an idea of what your options are, we've included the list below. It explains the main characteristics of the different types of toolboxes out there.
- Toolbox With Wheels: These are heavier toolboxes. They are available in different sizes and have wheels. They are ideal for a garage or a professional workshop. They have deep drawers for large tools and include several organizational trays.
- Traditional Toolbox: These are the most known models. It is shaped like a small trunk with a carrying handle. They usually incorporate an upper tray with space to organize small accessories. They are sturdy and easily transported.
- Tool Belts: Designed to carry tools on your body. They are comfortable and widely used by electricians and mechanics. They are made of leather or waterproof textile materials.
- Tool Bags: This is another alternative to traditional toolboxes.
They allow you to store larger tools such as a saw or drill. They often come with internal pockets for organization. Some may even have wheels and telescopic handles.
- Vertical Organizers: Ideal for workshops or garages. You can place your tools vertically on the tool “wall”. It comes with supports for bits, screwdrivers and other tools.
- Tackle Boxes: This option is designed to organize small accessories such as nails, screws, buttons, and fishing hooks. They are usually made of plastic and have drawers for storage.
How many tools should I have in my box?
Of course, if your box is for a workshop or professional use you’ll need more tools and probably a larger box. In these cases, it is best to buy a modular design or a trolley with trays. Lastly, if you want a box for your car, you won't need more than 10 or 12 tools which will fit in a small model.
What are the best toolbox brands on the market?
What sizes and capacities do the toolboxes have?
Keep in mind that the larger the box the more it can hold, but also the heavier it can get, becoming much less portable. This is something buyers forget when choosing a model, it is important to keep this in mind as it will affect the use you can give the toolbox.
What types of use can I give my toolbox?
Here's how to use and organize a toolbox, step by step:
- Enjoy its full capacity: If the box is spacious, you can store the biggest tools. If, on the other hand, it's small, use it to store the tools you most frequently use.
- Classify the tools: Before storingthem, make sure to classify them. For instance, organize the tools by their type: wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers or screws. Also consider which tools you use most often, keep those on top.
- Make adequate use of compartments: Consider the specific spaces for each part. If your box has space for a specific tool, use it.
- Maintian organizaiton in the toolbox: Always keep the tools in order and, if you can, clean them before storing them.
- Place the box in an easy-to-access location: A common mistake people make, is storing the toolbox well out of reach or in places we forget about it. Remeber, it’s meant to be useful, not decorative.
By now you probably understand that toolboxes are indispensible accessories that should not be missin in your home or workshop. Now that you know the basic things to consider when shopping for toolboxes, we want to give you one last set of criteria to help find the best model to suit your needs:
Portability is a fundamental feature of toolboxes. Whether you plan to leave it in your workshop, in your garage or at home, you should choose one that allows you to use it the way you want. For a workshop or for a professional environment, you can opt for a large model with wheels that allow you to move it around with ease.
If you're looking for a toolbox for your garage, you can opt for a larger model. For home, the best are those of normal size, with a durable handle to transport them. Make sure not to fill them too much or you will have the added problem of weight. If on the other hand, you’re looking for a toolbox for your car or motorcycle, a small set made of fabric will work best.
What type of toolbox you should choose, will largely depend on what you need it for and your specific needs. Consider what types of toolbox you’ve used so far, how many tools you have at home or in the shop, and whether or not you’ll be buying more tools in the future.
We should note that a carpenter, for example, does not have the same needs as a mechanic, or a DIY enthusiast. If you just need a toolbox for your home, there's no need to spend a large amount of money buying the largest toolbox on the market; it's better to have a small, practical one, that is easy to store.
The toolboxes, once full, end up weighing a lot. If you add to the weight of the box the weight of the tools, you may end up with a mobility problem, as we explained in the first segment of this section. Think very carefully about what you are going to do with it and, depending on the use, choose your toolbox.
If you're an electrician or fiber installer and you're going to carry your tools around all day on your back, we don't recommend that you choose a plastic or metal toolbox, on the contrary, the best thing for you will be a cloth bag or even a tool belt. If it's for a workshop, you can choose a heavy model with wheels.
In the United States market, you’ll find toolboxes made with very diverse materials. However, the most commonly used ones are those made of reinforced plastic, which incorporates some type of metal security lock. These boxes are lighter than metal ones but less durable. Another issue with the metal ones, aside from their weight, is that they tend to rust over time.
Pouch-type toolboxes made of fabric are becoming increasingly popular. They are very comfortable to carry, spacious and light. However, if you like a more classic model or want something that fulfills an aesthetic function, you can always opt for a wooden toolbox.
Make sure the toolbox you choose meets all of your requirements and needs, so making sure it has all the compartments you’ll use. If you work in a workshop and have a lot of accessories and hardware, you should look for a toolbox that has storage space for small parts.
As always, knowing your specific needs will be crucial in finding the best and most appropriate model. For instance, being clear about the types of tools and how many of them you want to store will make it much easier to find the ideal toolbox for you.
A toolbox is an indispensable accessory for storing and keeping all your tools and gadgets tidy and in one place, whether you use it in your workshop, car or at home. These products offer the space needed to keep everything in order, which will save you a lot of time each time you start or face a task.
We hope that this article helped you along with your search for one of these handy and valuable organization accessories. We included all the important aspects to consider, as well as the most relevant criteria to keep in mind while browsing. It is now up to you to decide, and choose the model that best suits your needs, whether these are professional or domestic.
If you found the information on this article useful, be sure to leave us a comment or share it with your social networks.
(Featured Image Source: Maksym Yemelyanov: 30647535/123rf.com)