Towels have long had a permanent place in every household. And rightly so, because they can be used for much more than just drying off. Towels can also be used as seat covers or to cover the body.
To ensure that you enjoy using your towel later on, you should keep a few things in mind when buying it. With this article, we want to help you make the right decision. First, we will introduce you to some towels. Then, we'll show you some of the criteria you should look for when buying a towel. Finally, we answer some important questions about towels in our guide.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Summary
- 3 The Best Towel: Our Choices
- 4 Buying and evaluation criteria for towels
- 5 Frequently asked questions about towels answered in detail
- 6 Conclusion
- For allergy sufferers and children, it is recommended to use towels made of organic cotton. These cost more, but are gentler on the skin. In addition, a towel made of microfibres may feel strange on the skin.
- Depending on the type of towel and the manufacturer, the cost can vary. In general, it is cheaper to buy a set instead of individual towels.
- According to experts, towels should be changed after about 3 days. If they are used frequently or by several people, they should be washed even more often.
The Best Towel: Our Choices
Buying and evaluation criteria for towels
In itself, it is very easy to buy a towel. To ensure that you are satisfied with your purchase, you should set a few criteria in advance when choosing the right towel.
Of course, it will not always be possible to meet all criteria 100 per cent. Nevertheless, your towel should meet your expectations as well as possible. In the following, we will explain in more detail what you should look for in the individual criteria.
At first glance, the colour seems unimportant. However, it is important that the towel matches the rest of the bathroom. You should also like the colour. Even if it is "just" a towel, you will probably use it very rarely or not at all.
A nice towel, on the other hand, will be much more likely to be used more often. Some websites even offer the option of having the towel embroidered with your name. Such towels can make an excellent gift.
Especially for allergy sufferers, the material of the towel is very important. The majority is made entirely of cotton, with organic cotton being suitable for sensitive skin. Towels made of linen are just as skin-friendly. Both fabrics are very absorbent and can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
Blended fabrics are also often used, which consist of cotton and synthetic fabrics such as polyester.
Many towels are also made of microfibres. The chemical fibres make the towels dry much faster. However, not everyone likes the feeling on the skin when drying themselves with a microfibre towel.
Some people fear that synthetic fabrics are a fire hazard if you put them on the radiator. Basically, such actions are safe regardless of the material. It only becomes dangerous when you dry wet towels on your radiator. There, heat can build up and cause a fire.
When choosing a towel, you should have in mind what you want to use it for. You will have different requirements for the beach than for physiotherapy. For example, at the beach the towel should dry faster.
For hiking, on the other hand, the purpose is to keep your clothes from getting dirty and to make you a little more comfortable. There, absorbency will play a minor role. And in the sauna, you cover your private parts with the towel.
Depending on the intended use, the right towel will have a different size. If you only want to wipe off your sweat with the towel in the gym, it should be smaller. The size of the towel should also be smaller if you are going hiking, and it should not take up much space in your backpack.
On the other hand, at the beach or in the sauna, you will need a larger towel if you want to cover part of your body or lie on it. The same applies to physiotherapy}
Frequently asked questions about towels answered in detail
Who are towels suitable for?
In addition to drying off, towels have many uses: you can use them as a seat pad as well as a substitute for an oven mitt. In the gym and during physiotherapy, you are obliged to take a towel with you for hygienic reasons.
What types of towels are there?
- Soap towel: This small towel is used to wash your face or to wash your body. Unlike a flannel, a soapy towel can be used to lather up shower gel. Afterwards, you can also wash the foam off again.
- Standard towel: The best-known type of towel has many uses. A standard towel is usually 50 x 100 cm.
- Shower towel: You use this towel to dry off after showering. They usually measure at least 70 x 140 cm.
- Sauna towel: These towels are at least 150 x 200 cm. Because they are used in the sauna, they can withstand high temperatures. In addition, these towels are very absorbent.
- Guest towel: As the name suggests, the guest towel is provided for visitors. You dry your hands with this towel, which is why it is medium-sized.
- Beach towel: Thanks to its softness, you can lie wonderfully on the beach towel. The material is also very absorbent, which makes drying effortless.
Even though the different types of towels have specific uses, there is nothing wrong with taking a beach towel with you to the sauna, for example. It is therefore not a must that you buy a piece of each type.
How much does a towel cost?
|Type||Unit price||Set price|
|Guest towel||6 - 8 €||15 - 25 €|
|Terry towel||10 - 25 €||50 - 90 €|
|Shower towel||14 - 30 €||50 - 100 €|
In general, there are no big differences in price between the materials, only organic cotton costs a little more. In addition, you often have the option of buying towels in sets. In this case, a towel will cost less than if you buy a single towel.
When should you wash or dispose of a towel?
The advice to throw away towels after 3 years is wrong. With proper care, a towel can last decades if the material allows it. If it does, you can reuse the towel elsewhere.
How do you wrap a towel around your head properly?
Next, twist the towel around your hair. Start at the base of your head and continue to the end of the towel. It is best to hold it with one hand and twist the towel with the other. Finally, bring the towel back to the nape of the neck and secure it there.
Towels have long since had more than just the purpose of drying off. That's why they also come in many sizes and materials. To ensure that you enjoy using your towel, it should meet your requirements in terms of colour and fabric.
Depending on the towel size and the manufacturer, there are sometimes big price differences. It is also cheaper to buy towels in sets. Moreover, you need several towels in your household, especially if, according to experts, you should wash them at least every 3 days. And with the right care, a towel can be used for years.
Image source: TesaPhotography/ Pixabay