Hot summer days are best endured if you have the opportunity to enjoy a refreshing gift under a parasol. Parasols can be found in different variations in almost all German households. However, in order to be able to set them up at all, a suitable umbrella stand is needed.
Umbrella stands are available in many different shapes, colours and materials and at best they fit perfectly to the umbrella. In our product comparison, we show you which aspects you need to consider when buying an umbrella stand and according to which criteria you can evaluate different models. In this way, we want to simplify your purchase decision.
The most important facts in a nutshell
- Parasols are usually sold without a stand, so an umbrella stand must be purchased separately to provide support and stability for the parasol.
- When choosing the correct parasol stand, the diameter of the parasol and the insertion pole play a particularly important role.
- Basically, there are four categories of umbrella stands, which differ in the type of stability they provide: There are fixed models, those for filling and those for weighting down with plates or stands that are anchored in the ground.
The Best Umbrella Stand: Our Choices
Buying and evaluation criteria for umbrella stands
The market for umbrella stands is very diverse. That’s why we have summarized five criteria for you, which you can use to orientate your purchase and compare different models with each other.
We have defined these criteria for you in more detail below.
Umbrella stands are sold in many shapes and colours, but the most important thing to consider is the material used. Different materials have different properties.
Products made of plastic are cheap and usually have a low weight, which is why they are often filled. They are available in many colours, but are not very weather-resistant.
Umbrella stands made of metal, on the other hand, are very expensive to buy but very durable. Depending on the type of metal, they vary in weight. Their shiny appearance makes them an eye-catcher. Stands made of granite are very heavy and durable in all weathers. This product is particularly suitable for large umbrellas. They offer a rustic but noble look.
The weight of an umbrella stand is crucial for holding the umbrella. If the stand is too heavy, it is difficult to align. If the stand is too light, the umbrella will fall over. It is advantageous here to check the intended location of the umbrella for its susceptibility to wind. If it is mostly calm there, the weight is less relevant than if it blows steadily there. In general, you should calculate with about 1 kilogram of stand weight per 10 centimetres of umbrella diameter.
If the umbrella is allocated a permanent place and is not constantly moved, it makes sense to anchor it permanently in the ground. A permanently installable ground anchor is suitable here. However, if the umbrella stand is to remain mobile so that it can be used in different places, a product with castors and a transport handle is a good choice.
Apart from the choice of material, the shape of the umbrella stand plays an important role. There is a wide range of different models. When deciding on the model, the available space should be taken into account above all and possibly adapted to the surroundings.
If the parasol and the stand are not purchased as a set, care must be taken to ensure that the stand offers the correct diameter for the parasol pole. There is no universally suitable size for the diameter of parasols, but there is often a few centimetres of leeway per model, as many stands use a rotating attachment mechanism. Thus, many umbrellas fit many umbrella stands.
Guide: Frequently asked questions about umbrella stands answered in detail
In the following, we have selected all the essential questions on the topic of umbrella stands for you. We will answer them for you shortly.
What is an umbrella stand?
What types of parasol stands are there?
- Fixed umbrella stands: These stands do not need external support and are usually durable. However, they are difficult to transport.
- Cross-legged stands: This model is fixed with external plates, making them customisable. However, they are more expensive to purchase due to the extra cost of the plates.
- Fillable parasol stands: These parasol stands are usually made of plastic and filled with water or sand. They are easily transportable, but not very durable.
- Ground anchor / ground socket: These stands are firmly drilled into the ground or set in concrete. They provide a firm hold and are not a tripping hazard. However, they can only be used if it is possible to drill into the ground.
- Balcony bracket: This model is attached to the balcony railing. It is very easy to mount, but not suitable for all railings and not very durable.
Each product has its own advantages and disadvantages; which product is right for you depends on your needs.
How do I determine the right size for my umbrella stand?
The many different variations of parasol stands offer you the opportunity to easily find an object that is perfectly tailored to your needs. Which model you choose depends above all on the look of your parasol and the way it is attached. Fixed parasol stands are easy to install, while fillable models are easy to transport.
Cross-legged stands can be customised and products with floor brackets or balcony brackets can be easily hidden when not in use. There’s something to suit every need, now all you have to do is choose the right size and you’ll soon be sitting comfortably under your parasol.
Image source: Seth Weisfeld / unsplash