With the change of season comes a time feared by many and loved by some: rearranging the wardrobe. Large clothes like coats and polar jackets take up a lot of space, which you may not have. This is one of the reasons why you have to make the most of every little space available to put your clothes.
In addition to the lack of space, you may face other problems when storing clothes that you won't be wearing for a while: dust, mold, and foul odors. Luckily for you, there is a solution that will save you time, trouble, and money: vacuum bags.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection: The Best Vacuum Bags
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Vacuum Bags
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- Vacuum bags are made from strong and flexible polymers that adapt and adhere to the shape of the garments inside.
- These products are hermetically sealed, ensuring that no air or polluting agent can enter and damage the clothes.
- As you can imagine, there are factors to take into account before buying vacuum bags. These include their capacity, the space you will be able to save, their functionality and ease of use, as well as how you plan on using them. We will delve into these criteria in the final section of our article.
Our Selection: The Best Vacuum Bags
Finding the right vacuum bag for your clothes can be confusing because there are now hundreds of options available out there. In addition, their growing popularity has led to the appearance of cheaper models whose dubious quality means they often break before you even use them. To make your life easier, we have selected the best vacuum bags currently on the market:
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Vacuum Bags
How do vacuum bags work?
- Inspection: The first thing you should do is unpack the bags and check that they are in perfect condition. It is essential to make sure that they have no holes in the stitching, as any air leak renders them useless.
- Opening: Be careful and open the bag slowly. The seals and closures of this type of product are quite fragile, so excessive force can tear or even break them.
- Filling: Before you do this, check the capacity of the bags in order not to exceed the limit. Then, introduce your previously folded clothes to optimize the space as much as possible.
- Sealing: When closing the bag, you should seal it carefully to avoid any openings that would let the air in.
- Air extraction: Open the bag's valve and place the vacuum nozzle that best fits the size of the valve on it. Turn your vacuum cleaner on and let it extract the air for at least 2 minutes or until the bag has halved in size.
- Valve closure: Once all the air has been extracted from the bag, remove the nozzle from the valve. Since these valves only work in one direction, no air should penetrate the bag when you take the nozzle off. Close the valve and make sure that there are no air leaks.
What types of vacuum bags are there?
Zipper bags: Made of polymers, they generally come in various sizes and are closed with a zipper seal. This type of bag doesn't have a vacuum valve, which means that you have to take the air out manually once filled.
Heat sealable bags: These products are made from heat-sensitive materials to be machine-sealed. You will need a vacuum packing machine to extract the air, which will also seal the bag hermetically. They are single-use products because you have to cut them open to remove the contents.
Vacuum sealer bags: They are the most popular. They can be used as many times as needed, and the air is extracted through a valve with a vacuum cleaner or a manual pump.
Does size matter?
Medium-sized bags generally measure 28 x 20 inches, while large bags measure 32 x 24 inches. The latter are ideal for storing just about any clothes, from pants, shirts, and skirts, to jackets, coats, and T-shirts made of sturdier fabrics.
Jumbo vacuum bags usually measure 40 x 30 inches. This type of product is most often used to store bed linen such as duvets, quilts, blankets, bed sheets, and pillows. Storing the same kind of items in one bag is more practical, as it will help you locate the garment you're looking for more easily.
Finally, if you need to store small items, such as underwear, delicate shirts, or fine-fabric summer dresses, your best option will be to go for small vacuum bags. Their reduced size will help them better adhere to their content and, therefore, protect them more efficiently.
How else can I use my vacuum bags?
Traveling: Preparing your luggage for a trip can be particularly tedious if you don't have enough room in your suitcase. Vacuum bags are the ideal solution for this common issue; simply place your clothes inside, extract the air, and put the bag in your luggage. This can save you up to 70% of space.
Books: Vacuum bags are very useful to keep books at the end of the school year or, in general, any collection you want to preserve. You can easily store them by genre, and the bags will protect your books from dust, mold, and humidity.
Electronic devices: Who doesn't have a video game console, speakers, or parts of an old computer lying around? Vacuum bags can protect them, as well as any other forgotten device, from external agents that can damage them.
Protective case: As long as the items you place inside the bags aren't sharp, you can extract the air and use their adherence and impermeability as protection for just about anything you want.
Can I buy sets of bags of different sizes?
There is a series of important criteria that you should consider before purchasing your own vacuum bags. Characteristics such as capacity, initial and final size, functionality as a whole, and ease of use are should certainly be analyzed to ensure that you are making the best possible decision. We will delve into these key aspects in the following section:
Knowing how many clothes you want to store and the space they take up is essential to making the right choice. As we briefly mentioned above, you should start by making a list of the items to be put away. You have to keep in mind that the bag should always be slightly larger than necessary to prevent it from being damaged when you extract the air.
The information found on the packaging, the seller, and the reviews left by past buyers will help you identify how much the bag can shrink when you suck the air out. The original size will generally be reduced by 30 to 50%, although you will find brands that claim to reach 80%. This is also influenced by the type of material of the garments. Pillows, for instance, will proportionally shrink much more than pants.
Vacuum bags will serve three purposes: storage, space saving, and protection. To find out if a specific bag meets all these requirements, we advise you to read the comments and reviews from buyers who have previously purchased it. Make sure that these opinions match the manufacturer's description.
Ease of Use
These bags generally come with detailed instructions, which make them quick and easy to use. However, some models feature too many openings or valves, and the vacuuming process becomes more difficult. This is why it is best to purchase more simple bags, to save time and avoid leaving a hole through which air can enter.
Remember that you will need a vacuum cleaner or a manual pump to extract the air. If you only plan on using your bags at home and you own a vacuum cleaner, you don't need to search for a product that includes a pump in the package. If you want to use your bags for traveling or outdoor storage, on the other hand, we strongly encourage you to find a model with a hand pump – like the first product in our selection.
We know just how stressful organizing your closet can be when you don't have the space or time. Packing, storing, and protecting delicate items like books and electronic devices is also challenging. Luckily for you, vacuum bags are here to help you solve all your problems.
There are currently vacuum bags tailored to different needs on the market. As we discussed in this article, you can find models made of different materials, with different vacuuming methods, and of various sizes. Evaluate your personal needs and choose the product that best suits you.
We hope that your shopping guide has given you all the information you need to pick the right vacuum bags. If you found this article helpful, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share this article with your friends and family on your social media!
(Source of featured image: Myibean: 92796528/ 123rf.com)