The busy rhythm of everyday life can cause a lot of stress, headaches, muscle pains, and more. One of the most common remedies to all of these unpleasant sensations is yoga. There are many variations of this popular sport. Actors, models, and famous influencers all have found peace of mind in yoga.
Have you tried yoga? You will need comfortable clothes and a yoga mat. If you are not sure where to start, you are in the right place. We have created this article for you to teach you all about these useful products and help you choose the best yoga mat for you.
- 1 Weekly newsletter with the best personal finance tips
- 2 Key Facts
- 3 Our Selection: The Best Yoga Mats
- 4 Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Yoga Mats
- 5 Shopping Criteria
- 6 Summary
- A good-quality yoga mat is key to practicing this amazing sport. It helps distribute the weight of your body protecting your spinal cord, hips, knees, and elbows. It will also help keep you comfortable and prevents you from slipping. This will help you keep your balance during your yoga sessions.
- Let's be honest, some yoga positions can be very difficult; they may even seem impossible at first. You need a yoga mat to accomplish most of these positions. When you are looking for your perfect mat, you need to keep in mind some important shopping criteria, like the material, size, adherence, and more. We will dive deeper into these features later on in the article.
- To guarantee that you have your mat for as long as possible and to keep it in perfect condition, you need to follow a few maintenance steps that we will go over later in the article. Keeping this product clean and in perfect condition is vital if you want to keep your mat for a long time.
Our Selection: The Best Yoga Mats
Have you decided to switch over to the yoga lifestyle? Before getting started, you need to get a good yoga mat. If you are already experienced in this sport or you are just starting, you must invest in a good quality mat. This item will make your yoga life much easier and will help you achieve your goals in the sport.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Should Know About Yoga Mats
Now, we will delve deeper into what exactly yoga mats are and all of the benefits that they have on your health and posture. You need to understand all of these factors to make the best purchase possible. Once you make your purchase, you should also know how to clean it properly to keep it in the best condition. In the following section, we will answer some of the most common questions from buyers like you.
Why should I do yoga?
This amazing sport will give you energy, physical strength, and flexibility. It is also very healthy for your lungs and heart, it will help you ease any muscle pains, and, after your workout, you will sleep like a baby!
What is a yoga mat exactly and how do I use it?
Although its name is very specific, a yoga mat actual can be used for other exercises like pilates, gymnastics, toning, and even meditation. You can also stretch before your workout using this versatile mat.
What is a good-quality yoga mat?
Do I need to buy a good-quality yoga mat if I am a beginner?
All of these problems can easily be solved by just investing in a good-quality yoga mat. However, you don't have to invest that much money; many of these items are not too expensive. If you end up becoming a yoga expert, you can always invest in an even better-quality mat, but never settle for anything mediocre. Your comfort is key.
How do I wash a yoga mat?
- With spray: Spray the entire surface and then dry it off with a microfiber or cotton cloth.
- With water and soap: If you using a washer to clean your mat, always use cold water and turn the spin cycle off. Another option is the bathtub; fill the bathtub with water and add a cap of clothing detergent and a teaspoon of baking soda. Then, you can softly scrub the mat with a sponge. Make sure to be careful and do not cause any damage to your yoga mat.
After cleaning it, you need to dry your yoga mat. To properly dry it, place the item outside in a shady area or roll the mat up with a towel to absorb all of the water. Then, leave the mat on top of the towel until it is completely dry.
To choose the perfect yoga mat, you need to keep in mind what type of yoga you wish to practice, as different types call for different mats. To choose the best mat for you, you need to go over how thick it is, how easy it is to clean, how big and heavy it is, its texture, and you should always make sure that it is made of non-slip material.
When choosing the perfect yoga mat, one of the most important factors to note is the material it is made out of. Mats can be made out of various materials including PVC, PER, EVA, NBR, TPV, TPE, natural rubber, polyurethane, cotton, organic cotton, jute, or hemp. We advise you to stay away from yoga mats that are made from toxic material as the mat will always have contact with your skin. You want to avoid any possible skin reactions.
We recommend that you choose a mat that is made of natural material. It is also very important to keep in mind the type of yoga that you wish to practice. You will probably want to consider a non-slip material and something easy to wash off.
How thick your mat needs to be will ultimately depend on the type of yoga that you wish to practice. Remember, the thicker the mat is the more it will keep you off of the ground. In the following table, we will explain the thicknesses that are usually advertised and what you can use them for.
|2 mm||Very thin. Great if you are a traveler, as it takes up less space than other mats. You should only use this type of mat every once and a while.|
|3 mm||Standard thickness. This yoga mat is perfect for almost every type of yoga.|
|4 mm||This is a great type of mat to use for yoga that puts more pressure on your body.|
|5 mm||You should not use this map for types of yoga that require more balance. The thicker the mat, the less stable it is.|
|More than 5 mm||This type of mat is not recommended for yoga but can be used for other exercises like pilates, toning, and stretching.|
Size and Weight
There is a standard size that most yoga mats use. They are usually between 5.5 to 6 feet long and around 2 feet wide. Make sure that your arms and legs will be able to rest on the mat. If you need it, there are bigger yoga mats on the market.
The weight is also an important factor. The weight of your mat will depend on how often you need to carry it to another place. If you travel a lot, you might want to consider purchasing a lighter mat.
The texture of yoga mats on the market varies. Some are designed with extra texture, while others just come with the same texture as the material that they are made out of. The texture mustn't bother you during your yoga session. We said it before and we'll say it again; your comfort is key.
The texture should always be non-slip, to keep you from falling. This is one of the most important features because losing your balance and slipping off your mat can be dangerous. The mat should have a rigid material on both sides.
It is always very important to keep your mat clean. You should keep two factors in mind:
- Washability: You should read the product description to see how to wash the mat. Some mats can be washed by hand and others are machine washable.
- Drying time: You should also pay attention to how long it takes to dry your yoga mat. It should be made out of breathe-able materials.
Yoga is the perfect activity to keep yourself healthy and energized. You don't need a lot of equipment to do this sport at home, just comfortable clothes and a good-quality yoga mat. There are a variety of different models and prices on the market.
When purchasing your mat, you should keep in mind the type of yoga you wish to practice. Remember that once you begin to use your map, you need to keep it clean so that it lasts you a long time.
(Source of featured image: Chaochaiya: 38780050/ 123rf.com)